Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just sold my Yamaha FZ6 a couple hours ago and am now officially, "Shadow shopping". The Sabre is a beautiful bike and I'm very much looking forward to owning one. I just responded to two ads on that famous guy's list.

I'm looking at '99 to '04 1100's with less than 20K on the clock. Is there anything in particular I need to avoid, or require for that matter? How hardy are these bikes (do they Winter well or should I be concerned about rust in the tank and carbs)? What questions should I ask the present owner? Is there any area of the bike in particular I should examine closely?

I know I've hit you folks with multiple questions. Right now, I'm interested in your horror stories and would appreciate any advice you may have to offer.

Really looking forward to joining the, "club"!

Jay
Plymouth, MI

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Welcome and good luck.
I picked up my bike used as well. Had only 1500 miles on it. Absolutely no problems except that the crankcase was over filled which left a substantial amt of oil in the airbox housing.
Good luck in your search. Sabres are great bikes.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Any of the 1100's are pretty much the same. some cosmetic differences and some gearing. Some are rear disk while others are rear drum. Pretty much bullet proof when taken care of. I just sold my Sabre after owning it for 3 years. Great bike. Kinda miss it.

G/l w/ your search, low mileage beauties can def be found. We just traded my wife's 01 Sabre of an 05 750 Aero. It had 5K on it, 2900 when we bought it last year. Be patient, the right one will come your way.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
ya can't go wrong with any of the 1100's!

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Good running bikes, if you store it or semi store for the winter I'd recommend getting a good trickle charger to keep on the battery, I keep one on mine 24/7 when not riding..........get a good maintenance free battery..........

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well I won't do this ever again but I didn't store my bike this past winter and it held up pretty **** good! It was left under a tree "uncovered" with gas in the tank and the battery still on the bike. It was BAD this past winter here in Chicago with tons of freezing rain and snow from November - March. In late March I decided to ride her for the first time and didn't really expect it to start but she did! A couple of bolts here and there were rusty but that's it. She'll be nicely tucked away in a heated garage come this winter.;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.