Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on a bike all winter and finally got it off the jack and slapped together but I've run into a problem I don't know how to fix. My wiring harness. It worked perfectly before and it has been worked on by previous owners. I've tried everything I could think of and still no power unless I jump the selanoid.
Everything is hooked up but I don't know what I'm missing here, if anyone has any insight that would be appreciated! College student building a bike doesn't want to dump a paycheck on a mechanic馃槄

Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
Do you mean no power as in not cranking? But your lights work?
When you push the start button it sends power on the yellow/red wire to the solenoid coil.
The other side of the coil has to have a ground on the green/red wire to complete the circuit and energize the solenoid contacts.
If the clutch switch, or neutral switch, or kickstand switch is not providing grounds it won't contact.
East test is to connect a temporary ground wire to the green/red at the solenoid and it should crank.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean no power as in not cranking? But your lights work?
When you push the start button it sends power on the yellow/red wire to the solenoid coil.
The other side of the coil has to have a ground on the green/red wire to complete the circuit and energize the solenoid contacts.
If the clutch switch, or neutral switch, or kickstand switch is not providing grounds it won't contact.
East test is to connect a temporary ground wire to the green/red at the solenoid and it should crank.
I have no power to any lights at all, I just tried that ground you suggested. There's two red/green wires. Still nothing..

Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
You need to trace power from the battery positive cable through the connection on the start solenoid. It has the green 30 amp main fuse in it, that is where it all begins. Then goes to the ignition switch and on.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to trace power from the battery positive cable through the connection on the start solenoid. It has the green 30 amp main fuse in it, that is where it all begins. Then goes to the ignition switch and on.
Well I have power to that one I guess I'll start from there! Thanks for the tip man! I'll be back馃槄

Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
Sure you could have all the lights disconnected, the engine would still run.
Follow the ignition switch wiring to see if something is unplugged.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.