Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first summer riding the bike, so that means first time riding in any heat. The radiator fan is coming on and it's quite loud, I'm not exactly sure if it's normal or not. It sounds almost like a vacuum cleaner.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I rarley hear my fan except when the motor is off with the key still in the ON position. NON stock exhaust. If I do here it it does sound more like a hair dryer than a vacuum. With motor on I only hear it if I try to, and usually have to be in front of the bike. I'd check for blockages in the radiator fins or something like that. Could be a dying fan motor, bent or broken blade, or a noisey aftermarket fan. Could just be your not used to the sound yet. My fan runs almost year round, anytime outside temp is above 70f.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Mine is not to noticeable, 'cept when sitting at a redlight. At least you know it's working!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the fan coming on is normal? I've only actually noticed it after I pull in my driveway and put the bike in neutral to go open the garage door.

I rarley hear my fan except when the motor is off with the key still in the ON position. NON stock exhaust. If I do here it it does sound more like a hair dryer than a vacuum. With motor on I only hear it if I try to, and usually have to be in front of the bike. I'd check for blockages in the radiator fins or something like that. Could be a dying fan motor, bent or broken blade, or a noisey aftermarket fan. Could just be your not used to the sound yet. My fan runs almost year round, anytime outside temp is above 70f.
I guess it does sound more like a hairdryer, a vacuum cleaner probably wasn't the best example.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'd say that's normal sounding, Anthrax.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Sounds normal to me. Mine comes on like that while I"m opening the door. Some here have stated that they shut the bike down with the kill switch to allow the fan to finish its cycle before shutting the power off with the key. Personally I think if you are going to do any good in that respect you should leave the bike running until the fan cuts off then shut down with the key.

Two reasons for that. First I never use the kill switch unless I have to. They give enuff trouble as it is. More you use it quicker it wears out. Second if you let the fan cycle with out the engine running you might cool the contents of the rad a bit before you shut it off but the water in the engine is still hot. Letting the engine run till the fan stops will at least cool all of the coolant to the same temp before shut down(not really but close). Not sure if that matters much but if you're going to the trouble to wait for the fan to cycle before killing the power you might as well do it with the engine running and get full benefit from it.;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
So the fan coming on is normal? I've only actually noticed it after I pull in my driveway and put the bike in neutral to go open the garage door.

I guess it does sound more like a hairdryer, a vacuum cleaner probably wasn't the best example.
It's been HOT around here for the last week, so the fan comes on at pretty much every stop light. Normally, when our temps are around 65-75, the frequency of the fan cycling is a little less. Regardless, it should come on whenever the engine is fully warmed and you sit idling for any length of time. And yes, it is a little loud but not excessive IMHO. What is a real drag though is sitting in traffic or at frequent stop lights and having that hot air blowing on my already overheated legs. :shock:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.