Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed in the owner manual that the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for the Spirit 1100 is 362 lbs, including driver, passenger & cargo. For long-distance touring, riding two-up, it doesn't take much to reach that limit. Can someone share their experience with their heaviest loads?

Also, the Honda luggage rack has a capacity of 10 pounds: how realistic is that? Some luggage bags alone weigh almost that when they are empty.

Thanks.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I noticed that too, I wiegh 155, the girlfriend weighs 110, that last 100 lbs can add up really quick if you include the weight of hardbags,trunk and stuff for a trip

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
You will need to improve the suspension to achieve any higher weight limits. The brakes are barely adequate, but workable.

I believe the wife and I and a weeks worth of gear, plus extras on the bike like saddle bags, floor boards, crash bars, windshield etc. added up to around 500lbs or more of payload. We put on a lot of miles with no trouble on my '98 VT1100C. Never really wanted for any more power but pipes and a jet kit made it much more ridable and noisy, so it's trade off.

Suspension upgrade consisted of Progressive 440HD rear shocks Progressive front springs with a longer pre-load spacer and a good set of Metzler tires (although I did wear out a set of dunflops first).

As far as the luggage rack capacity - as much as you can stuff into a Nelson Rigg weekender (I even put in a wood floor for it so it wouldn't sag over the tail light) no problem probably weighs in at 50+lbs full up.

The above does not condone this behavior, just relating real-world and 10k miles of experience. Your results may vary.....following the manufacturers guidelines is recommended...yada...yada....yada.....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thats good to know. I just purchased some LeatherLyke bags for my Spirit 1100, but the weight left after my wife and I are on is less than 100 pounds.
I already have the Progressive suspension and Metzler tires. I don't think that I will be carrying a lot of extras, but I know I can get 100 pounds into the bags pretty easy.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
CycleMichael said:
Thats good to know. I just purchased some LeatherLyke bags for my Spirit 1100, but the weight left after my wife and I are on is less than 100 pounds.
I already have the Progressive suspension and Metzler tires. I don't think that I will be carrying a lot of extras, but I know I can get 100 pounds into the bags pretty easy.

Better check the weight limit on the LL bags, it's not very high. I use them for some tools, tire repair, extra gloves, locks and cables, shoes, map, etc. They aren't held on by much and they are not very waterproof, so anything you don't want to get damp should be in plastic bags.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I just bought the bike and was surprised to see the net weight rating is 100 pounds less than the CB900 I was used to. That 100 pounds can make a big difference. The salesman told me it was a great bike for long distance touring, two-up with luggage, and I took his word on it.

Without modifying the stock suspension, what would you guess is a realistic and safe maximum weight load? Is the rated 362 pounds a conservative number, with a safety factor on top of that?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Low 400's shouldn't bottom out the rear springs...up to 450, but the rebound dampening can seem non-existent if the bike has any miles on it at all. I would say 20kmiles and you are going to want new shocks.....the handling difference is substantial - I had to go back to stock rear shocks last year while the 440s were being rebuilt......WOW what an eyeopener that was.....riding solo too. Could not wait to get the 440's installed again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm 250 and better half is 125. we've loaded with gear and hit the rockies with no issues.

guy

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your trip to the Rockies sounds similar to the one we are planning for this summer. Our combined weight of driver & passenger is about 350 lbs, and we need to add luggage on top of that. Did you use saddlebags or just a rear rack and gear bag? Did you make any mods to the bike before or during the trip? Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
No mods at all. even ran with OEM front and rear suspension. Just ordered progressive for both .. wonder how that will change things.

anyways. tank back and sissy bar bag was the only lugguge we took. we hoteled every night thus saved on the need for tent and sleeping bag.

think if had taken the saddle bags like my buddies i would have just filled them with 'sodas' and snack like they did .. lo.

Guy

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I'm sure (I know) my bike overloaded when we take our trip every year, but I have no handling issues and never bottom out the shocks. I am contemplating swapping my rear shocks with ones off an 1800 VTX or even 1300 would maybe work. I have not had any issues with my stock shocks so far, but I am sure that 10 years of riding has taken some of the life out of them. >PD<

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's reassuring to hear that the stock Spirit 1100 should be able to handle riding two-up with a luggage rack and gear. I don't plan on going overboard, just carrying the essentials, but weight can still add up in a hurry.

I planned on getting accessories, like a new saddle, windshield, rack etc., but didn't expect to modify the tires and shocks so soon. The bike only has 5 miles on it.

Progressives and Metzer tires do sound good and are probably in store for a future mod as the budget allows, (just finished paying for the biket!).

Thanks again for the great information.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts