Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just started riding a Shadow 600 and I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out a safe top speed without redlining the engine. It doesn't have a tach, and while it's on the list of things to add it will probably be a few more weeks until I get it.

Traffic around here flows around 80mph a lot of times and I'm not sure if I'm pushing it too hard trying to keep up. I'm on a small bike to begin with and going slower than traffic makes it more likely that I'll be hit by someone not paying attention.

Does anyone know what speed the engine can handle?
If weight and such are a factor I'm about 170 with all my gear, and maybe another 10 in cargo (backpack, laptop, etc.).

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I'm trying to remember but, I think around 60-65 mph the VLX is spinning around 4000-4300 rpm. That is from the tach I have on mine. I'm guessing that at around 80 mph you might be turning 5000 or so. I know I've had my VLX up to 85 mph and it wasn't topped out. Contrary to popular belief, 600 cc's is way more than enough to ride the Interstate all day long.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
No tack on my VLX but I've had it up to just over 80 and it was still accelerating when I backed off. Never a need for anything more than that. I've cruised the interstate at 70 mph and accelerated around other traffic as needed. It will still throw my head back as it accelerates.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a 2002 honda shadow 600 vlx all stock minus the pipesthat are straight shotted. I can top out at about 92-95 maxx. And it sounds like its about to blow up then. Soooo just to give one extreme side of it.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I would ride my VLX on the interstate at 80mph for hours at a time out West with a week's worth of camping gear on the rack. It could handle the Pennsylvania hills at home, too.

So...I really don't know what the top speed is since I never tried to push it there, but unless you are the road racer type, you shouldn't come across anything it can't handle. I'd guess it's 90mph or a bit more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts