Honda Shadow Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I want to say how much I really like my Spirit. With that said I had a chance to put about 50 miles on a 2005 Softtail Springer. The only way I can discrib the difference is to compair a Honda Accord to my E 320 Mercedes. If it didn't cost twice what my shadow cost I'ed be an owner.

·
Registered
310 Posts
H-D

CTP.... There isn't much to compare between a Shadow and Softail Classic. We usually rent H-D's on vacations and enjoy riding them. Fit, finish and chrome are the best and they are well balanced and easy to ride. Service from the dealership is second to none and the bikes are always immaculately prepared. But, when compared to my K 1600, performance is really lacking and the stodgy, old school styling narrows the gap considerably. When I consider price, I will keep the Kaw.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Re: Shadow VS HD

CPTRICK3 said:
First I want to say how much I really like my Spirit. With that said I had a chance to put about 50 miles on a 2005 Softtail Springer. The only way I can discrib the difference is to compair a Honda Accord to my E 320 Mercedes. If it didn't cost twice what my shadow cost I'ed be an owner.
NO NO NO NO NO! You can do better. Try it again.

You need to use phrases like (and remember the incorrect use of apostrophes and spelling and poor phrasing - it lends credence to your anti-harley sentiment) "never road a harley and never will" and "all harley's are farm tracktors made by Jon Deer" and "I ain't paying twice as much for a bike thats only half as good" and "them 1930's harley's all suck".

Jeez...

:lol:

·
Registered
429 Posts
The 2005 Softtail Springer is not even in the same catergory as the Spirit. You just compared a Cadillac to a pinto, of course the 2005 Softtail Springer will win hands down.

Next time rent a 883 Sportster and see if you have the same opinion since the Spirit and 883 Sportster are in the same league.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
mark v said:
Next time rent a 883 Sportster and see if you have the same opinion since the Spirit and 883 Sportster are in the same league.
Not really. The Sportster is a tall-saddle, standard-seating, sport-oriented naked that isn't really designed as a cruiser, while the 1100 Spirit is a 2-up, buckhorn bars, legs-out cruiser.

They're similar in price only.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ok so a $15,000 Harley Softail Springer is the same as a $10,000 Spirit 1100? I am going off used prices since I dont know what they sold for new.

chornbe said:
mark v said:
Not really. The Sportster is a tall-saddle, standard-seating, sport-oriented naked that isn't really designed as a cruiser, while the 1100 Spirit is a 2-up, buckhorn bars, legs-out cruiser.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Perhaps a better comparison to the Softail springer would be an ACE or an Aero. I've been on several bikes and the Softails seem most like the ACE or Aero's. I'm not sure comparing it to a Spirit is a fair comparison.

·
Registered
865 Posts
JTravis1973 said:
Perhaps a better comparison to the Softail springer would be an ACE or an Aero. I've been on several bikes and the Softails seem most like the ACE or Aero's. I'm not sure comparing it to a Spirit is a fair comparison.
Why is there the obsession with comparing Honda and Harley? So what if one is better than the other? Makers Mark is clearly better than Jack Daniels, but I ain't gonna spend time trying to convince anyone. I'm just gonna drink it.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
morepower said:
JTravis1973 said:
Why is there the obsession with comparing Honda and Harley? So what if one is better than the other? Makers Mark is clearly better than Jack Daniels, but I ain't gonna spend time trying to convince anyone. I'm just gonna drink it.
Buy ya a drink, anytime.

G

·
AngryHatter said:
morepower said:
JTravis1973 said:
Buy ya a drink, anytime.
make mine Suaza Hornitos witha good Margarita mix

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
mark v said:
Ok so a $15,000 Harley Softail Springer is the same as a $10,000 Spirit 1100? I am going off used prices since I dont know what they sold for new.

chornbe said:
mark v said:

No, actually the Softtail line is more like the VLX than anything else in Honda's line up. Price is immaterial... you have to compare on design and intent.

·
Registered
865 Posts
CrazyDave said:
AngryHatter said:
morepower said:
JTravis1973 said:
Buy ya a drink, anytime.
Now we're gettin' somewhere

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
CrazyDave said:
AngryHatter said:
morepower said:
JTravis1973 said:
Buy ya a drink, anytime.
Noooo...fresh made, no mix, and you lick the salt from the back of my neck. :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had several harleys and just got an 06 spirit for my wife.Its the titanium one with flames.Its hard to compare because the harleys motor is twice as big and the bike weighs almost two hundred pounds more.What surprised me about the spirit was how well it handles.
Also my wife had a sportster once and I even tried to talk her into getting another one but she insisted on the honda.In my educated opinion I think she made a wise choice.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
I have never rode a Harley because I have never had the chance. I would someday like to ride the Road King though.

All of my riding buddies own Harley's. My wife and I are the only ones in the group who ride Honda's. The funny thing is that they would all love to swap bikes when summer rolls around. Something about the heat from their engines make it unbearable to ride in the Florida heat. :)

I do not know what the deal is, but several of my bud's have been making pilgramages to the dealership. One had a bad lifter. One had a persistent oil leak. Another had some other engine problem.

In retrospect, I think I will hold onto my Ace for a while. It's parked inside our enclosed trailer and never leaves a drop of oil on the nice wooden floor.

I still would like to ride a Road King though. :)

Chris

·
Registered
224 Posts
From what I have found the Dyna Wide Glide would be the closest comparison to a Shadow Spirit. The Wide glide I believe is a 1300 but as far as looks, it is very similar. The Spirit around $8500 new and Wide glide $16,000. They both get you down the road.

I don't need an HD name to inflate my ego. I'll use the money I saved for other bling in my life.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
190 Posts
mark v said:
The 2005 Softtail Springer is not even in the same catergory as the Spirit. You just compared a Cadillac to a pinto, of course the 2005 Softtail Springer will win hands down.

I have that opinion,my 89' 883 will lay a Spirit 750 out flat,3rd-4th gear with a 1/4 turn I go from 40-90,I have ridden' a 06'Aero 750 & my VLX,I was at the Honda shop also yesterday because my bud is thinking of trading his Aero in on a Boulevard or Fat Boy.The Spirit 750 is not of the same quality parts,it's made like my VLX and it just isn't.The tank is a square and isn't as comfy as my 06'883C! Sorry!Honda motors are bulletproof but my 89' has 36,500 on it,runs great and is fast as sh*t :p

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
CPTRICK3 said:
But you don't explain why you feel the HD is a better ride? :?

·
Registered
1994 Honda Shadow VT1100C. 1993 Honda VF750C Magna.
1,386 Posts
This is a completely pointless thread.

It is like me, with my chopped Shadow, challenging a sportbike to a race. That would be equally pointless.

Now I am the first to admit that Harleys look good and sound better. You can spend the gross national product of a small European country on aftermarket parts and then get started on the jackets, tee shirts, boots and associated stuff.

Surely owning a motorcycle of whatever size, type, colour etc is down to what you like and what your pocket will stand. Before I owned my Shadow I had a Suzuki Savage 650 single. Referred to as a 'girls bike' by some less charitable types, as I recall.

That bike never once let me down in the three years I owned it, and if I could have kept it as well as getting the Shadow I would have done so without hesitation.

When I am riding my Shadow, if I get passed by a sports bike, I am not envious. If I see a cruiser that looks bigger, shinier, more comfortable (or whatever) than my Shadow, I am not envious. I made my Shadow what it is because that is what I want. I have more to do, when funds permit.

If you are disappointed with your Shadow then perhaps it is not the right bike for you. Sell it, and buy what you think you want. Otherwise, enjoy it for what it is, which is, IMHO, a damned fine motorcycle.

Collector

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.