Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the Progressive International motorcycle show in Long Beach yesterday.

Honda, of course, had a big booth, but NO SHADOWS WERE ON DISPLAY!

Wtf?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Not surprising. It's pretty sad that Honda not only introduces cruisers that the Honda faithful isn't excited about Like the newly redesigned Sabre/Interstate a few years back but the very next year at the International MC Show they slap a set of hardbags and a windshield and some engine guards and call it their "Tourer". WTF?

I truly believe that Honda could exit the cruiser market and their sales wouldn't be affected by one red cent.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Honda just has to much going for them. The race bikes (CBR) goldwing fury side by and 4wheelers the cruser as some of use to know them like the ace and old saber vtx and others die off. Demand for chopper knock offs are at a high (fury ). Its not just honda look at the other groups you she chopper knock off everwhere now and big touring bikes. The art of rideing is I think dieing off for showboating and them who say look at me im a biker. With HD price droping with BMWs as well. You bring your self to think what way do I turn

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
563 Posts
At least they have not discontinued the Shadow.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Shadow was a niche market new... Inexpensive Harley clone that could outperform the original... Kind of a unique machine for a thinking person who wanted a reasonably priced well performing machine. Now it's old thinking. Harley is making Honda clones and Indian is stepping on Harley's toes... And the monster metrics are off the charts. All good news for motorcycle enthusiasts. But it is a different day... Some things are on their way out like the fins on a caddy. I think of my shadows like classics, but heck, I'm too old to compete. I'll just wax and ride what I got ;-)

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
I have not liked the newer Honda cruiser lineup for about 5 or 6 years now. In fack I really like the early 90s Spirit 1100 a lot ! ;)

·
Registered
865 Posts
I don't see the Fury being a long lived item in the Honda lineup. I think the factory built and kit built chopper is on the way out. I think there will always be a market for cruisers but Honda needs to give theirs a serious remodel to get away from the same old-same old. I dig the new/old CB1100.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hondas not exiting the cruiser market. I'm sure they're doing well with cruisers ir the wouldn't have introduced the new cb1100 or the new valkyre. As far as displaying shadows..... they're cheap, they perform well, they don't really need advertising to sell them. Its like sportsters. They don't really advertize them because they don't really have to. They sell regardless of advertising budget

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
902 Posts
Unfortunately, that is why I jumped ship and went to Yamaha. Nothing above the current Shadow line in cc's that appeals to me as a "cruiser". Love my V-Star 1300 but now progressing to the Stratoliner Deluxe. Saw it in the new red color and just hadda have it! It looks a bit like the VTX eh Canyon?

On side note, anyone going to the NYC M/C Show Dec. 13th-15th?? I am heading up on Friday. Planning to hit right as it opens at 1pm and spend a few hours.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I don't see Honda dropping the Shadow. They just introduced several new variations a couple of years ago. Honda has certainly upped their game in the last few years introducing many new models looking for new customers. I'm partial to the CB1100.

Also remember that North America is a very small part of their worldwide sales.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Hondas not exiting the cruiser market. I'm sure they're doing well with cruisers ir the wouldn't have introduced the new cb1100 or the new valkyre. As far as displaying shadows..... they're cheap, they perform well, they don't really need advertising to sell them. Its like sportsters. They don't really advertize them because they don't really have to. They sell regardless of advertising budget
I don't see Honda dropping the Shadow. They just introduced several new variations a couple of years ago. Honda has certainly upped their game in the last few years introducing many new models looking for new customers. I'm partial to the CB1100.

Also remember that North America is a very small part of their worldwide sales.
Unfortunately you'll never find out how well/or not the Shadows sell because Honda doesn't breakdown sales of motorcycles by lineup. In fact, they lump ALL motorcycle sales together that includes not only sport bikes and dirt bikes but also scooters and even ATV's so their worldwide sales aren't even accurate IMO.

It's pretty common to find a 2 or 3 year old brand new Shadow on the showroom floor at a dealership. I bet they struggle to reach 15K in yearly sales for Shadow's in the USA.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts