Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I finally got a pic of my Shadow 600 VLX on, but now I am shopping for a 750. The Shadow Aero has a shaft drive, and Ace has a chain. Is one preferable over the other? Any comments in general about Aero vs Ace? Both are good looking bikes. I have driven my friend's Ace, but not an Aero yet. I'd like to hear from someone who drives either one. Thanks.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Someone recently posted up here that he's got an '09 Aero and wishes it had a 6th gear. Being that it's a shaft, there's no fixing that. If he had the chain, he could drop a new 38T sprocket in the rear and solve it for fairly cheap.

Best bet is to ride the Aero and see how it feels at higher speeds with the gearing. Ride it in town and a little stretch of highway. Just remember that with a shaft, what you get is what you get. With the chain, it's easy to change out.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I'm a big fan of shaft drive myself. Less maintenance and the back of the bike stays much cleaner. my .02 anyway!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Chain - More maintenance (not really intensive maintenance. people mistake more with intensive), more options for change Shaft - less maintenance, no options for change Belt - less maintenance than chain, more than shaft, options for change Ace VS Aero I would go Ace every time. I like the look better. The Aero never did it for me.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Ditto Squidchief's comment. Lubing every 500 (I do it every 300) is a pain in the ass. I also hate the expense and downtime that comes with buying/installing a replacement chain every 20 to 24K miles. Some will tell you shaft chews up HP and gas but my bride's Aero and my ACE get exactly the same mileage.

Since we stay off the 70+mph interstates, getting a higher gear is of no interest. Don't forget that fewer teeth make uphill starts more clutch intensive. Make that decision based on your riding style, location and roadways.

·
Registered
88 Posts
ace owner

i was looking for a shaft drive originally. its newer, cleaner, less maintenance. eventually i bought a ace. chains have been around a long time, so its not like they are defective. i have no problem with the chain 7 the look of the ace is awesome

Attachments

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Ditto Squidchief's comment. Lubing every 500 (I do it every 300) is a pain in the ass. I also hate the expense and downtime that comes with buying/installing a replacement chain every 20 to 24K miles. Some will tell you shaft chews up HP and gas but my bride's Aero and my ACE get exactly the same mileage.

Since we stay off the 70+mph interstates, getting a higher gear is of no interest. Don't forget that fewer teeth make uphill starts more clutch intensive. Make that decision based on your riding style, location and roadways.
Nice getting input from someone who owns both!!! Is there much difference between the two bike beyond looks i.e. riding position/comfort... performance etc????

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Nice getting input from someone who owns both!!! Is there much difference between the two bike beyond looks i.e. riding position/comfort... performance etc????
I've had both. Can't tell much if any difference. I lean slightly toward shaft drive because maintenance is less. All three bikes we have, however, are chain drive. Harleys, no choice; the Honda, I liked the bike.:wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Those new fangled shaft drive will never work they will not last ( OK BMW start with shaft drive in 1923)

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Hi all, I finally got a pic of my Shadow 600 VLX on, but now I am shopping for a 750. The Shadow Aero has a shaft drive, and Ace has a chain. Is one preferable over the other? Any comments in general about Aero vs Ace? Both are good looking bikes. I have driven my friend's Ace, but not an Aero yet. I'd like to hear from someone who drives either one. Thanks.
Shaft , your first flat and you won't regret it. Lovely area you live in, I have been there twice this summer so far, have already become a fan of Smoking Good BBQ, and learned that to make this que even better ask them to hold the tar heel

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
ACE versus Aero

Aero:
Pro - very low seat, quite light due to plastic fenders (feels like VLX weight but is 100lbs heavier), shifts like a dream. Ideal for the inseam challenged and new riders. Uses VLX bars which are my Favorite and ACE tube covers to protect the front end.

Con - stock seat is thin on foam, adding is a must so you don't bottom out (pun intended). Uses VLX grab bar rear signals making bag selection tougher.

ACE:
Pro - 2 into 1 exhaust has a nice bark on acceleration but is tame when it needs to be. Far aft turn signals.
Con - Chain. Have to remove phony fins to do the valves. Bars don't have much pullback and are too wide for my taste. Will replace mine with Aero/VLX bars next week.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had both and I prefer the shaft. It is a bit smoother and definitely quieter. However, there is nothing wrong with chain. Been around a long time and works very well.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
I know this is a stupid question.... But does shaft drive make it easier or harder to change a flat?

Easier. Much. Others can go into the details if'n they want. I hate to even think about it.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
I know this is a stupid question.... But does shaft drive make it easier or harder to change a flat?
Shaft.. remove rear axle bolt, raise bike, and remove rear axle, remove tire from spleen, fix flat, reinstall, bolt everything up..done

Chain/belt ... remove rear axle bolt, raise bike and remove real axle while trying to balance tire, take off tangled greasy chain, fix tire, balance tire while trying to put axle back in( making sure chain is in position for reinstall of course ) Now adjust left and right wheel alignment nuts so that wheel is properly aligned and chain is tightened, ride, re check, readjust as needed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everybody. I have a couple of bikes to look at this weekend. On a side note, For some reason, my pic shows up on my profile, but not on these posts, at least not on my computer. Can you see it? I just posted it today.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Thanks everybody. I have a couple of bikes to look at this weekend. On a side note, For some reason, my pic shows up on my profile, but not on these posts, at least not on my computer. Can you see it? I just posted it today.
in order for your pic to show up here it has to be added to your signature

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
don't see no picture...... my grammer teacher would be so proud.....

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Shaft.. remove rear axle bolt, raise bike, and remove rear axle, remove tire from spleen, fix flat, reinstall, bolt everything up..done

Chain/belt ... remove rear axle bolt, raise bike and remove real axle while trying to balance tire, take off tangled greasy chain, fix tire, balance tire while trying to put axle back in( making sure chain is in position for reinstall of course ) Now adjust left and right wheel alignment nuts so that wheel is properly aligned and chain is tightened, ride, re check, readjust as needed.
Dave: Do you mount and balance your own tires?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts