Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people! I'm about to purchase my first bike. I've decided on a Honda Shadow Spirit 750 but don't know if I should go with the 2007 that has a shaft driven tranny or look for a 2006 that still has a chain. Any comments or suggestions? (I ruled out the HD sportsters as a first bike for I am a tall female with long legs and didn't like the position of clutch pedals, etc.) Any info will be appreciated.
Ladyhawk in Louisiana

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Shaft is maintance free, chain does deliver just a bit more HP to the wheel.

Personally I'd go shaft drive, quiter, no monthly cleaning and lubeing the chain, (or ever how often it's done). No slingging dirt and grease off the chain, etc.

But chain bikes do "look" more like standard bikes.

PS, welcome to da forum, :p

8)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had 2 bikes with shafts, a Yamaha v-star and my current 1996 Shadow VT1100C. I can tell you that the shaft drives are almost bullet proof! All that is needed is to change the final drive gear oil once every couple years...that's it! It should outlast the life of the bike.

I'm pro shaft drive if all you want to do is ride and not worry. I'm sure some others with chain drive experience will chime in and give their opinions on how it puts down the power to the tire better/faster.

In any case you can't go wrong with a Honda. Good luck to you! :D

·
Registered
590 Posts
Give me the SHAFT anytime. ..... Wait just a damn minute, that did`nt sound right. I`ve had 3 shaft drives and about 8 chains, no contest, the shaft is the tops. There, thats better :wink: Sorry, I forgot, WELCOME. :)

·
Registered
949 Posts
The shaftdrive steals power, but it is worth it to lessen maintenance.

Shaft is a bad muther

·
Registered
628 Posts
Chain is not that bad.. :D The maintenance is not NEARLY as bad as some would have you believe. And if lubed property, they do not fling dirt & grease. Also, as mentioned, chains are more efficient. If you don't like the RPM's at highway speed, with a shaft you're stuck with it, with a chain you can change sprockets. And again, as mentioned, chains just look better.

Shaft drives are more maintenance free. That is the main thing going for them.

$ .02

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Welcome! I've had a shaft driven bike and now I have a chain driven bike and I have to say that I don't really notice much maintainence. Lubming takes seconds, I don't clean mine that often (am I suppose to??) and it's not much of a bother at all. I never have any grease flinging up at me, but I use Belray chain lube so maybe that's why.

I couldn't tell you the difference with the extra HP because I went from a 500cc to a 750cc. BTW - I have a 750 Spirit ('02) and I love it! Great balance and a nice comfy ride.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
shaft drive

Never rode a shaft drive but for looks I think the "old" 750 is a better looking bike. Saw a "new" model at the bike show in D.C. this weekend.......A LOT less chrome, crappy looking pegs and kickstand. The cooling fins on the heads are not blacked out with the polished edges....I was very disappointed. If they were trying for a "harley look" why not go belt drive and put a disk brake in the back? (I know -> $$$$). :(
BTW.....I've never had issues with chain drive....I clean it, lube it, and ride. There is some extra cleaning at the rear wheel after the chain is freshly lubed but no big deal.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
JeffGolem said:
I have had 2 bikes with shafts, a Yamaha v-star and my current 1996 Shadow VT1100C. I can tell you that the shaft drives are almost bullet proof! All that is needed is to change the final drive gear oil once every couple years...that's it! It should outlast the life of the bike.

I'm pro shaft drive if all you want to do is ride and not worry. I'm sure some others with chain drive experience will chime in and give their opinions on how it puts down the power to the tire better/faster.
... which is a pointless argument on a torquey v-twin of almost any size. Sport bikes that don't develop wicked power until they're revving like crazy, sure... otherwise, shaft is +++1, all day long!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Shaft drive here. If you are tall look into a Vulcan VN750 - if you are interested in smooth running flawless shifting bike with a taller seat ht.
Same HP as a 1100 shadow, less torque but runs like a scalded cat in the higher RPM ranges....

My wife is tall, and rides a VN and loves it......used they can be purchased for a song. They last forever (if you move the rectifier or de-goat it, and put in a maintenance free battery).

The percent of power that is 'robbed' by a shaft is less than amount we are robbed by the state on sales tax of common goods and services in Virginia. (i.e. <5%).

BTW- I just finished two weeks with a chain drive vehicle, while it's not that bad, (didn't have to adjust or clean the chain though) if I had my druthers I would still rather have a shaft driven vehicle.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Since you're talking about your first bike buy used. Don't worry about shaft vs. chain. You can get a used 750 pretty cheap compared to the price of a new bike. After you ride for a while you can figure out what you like or don't like about the bike. If you decide then you want something different you can sell your bike for practically what you paid, since most of a bike's depreciation is immediate.
BTW, I haven't heard of a rash of ppl running to the Honda dealer to trade in thier bike to get new ones, it's not improved that much.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I sat on a 2007 Spirit the other day...

I swear it is longer and lower than my 2002.... so you might want to consider that if the 2006 chain drive is shorter.

I don't know the specs... but that 07 sure was more fitting to me than my 02... I have 34" inseam.

I can't answer the shaft or chain question.. I have never owned or riden a shaft drive bike... <giggle> other than my QT50 Yamaha Noped.

similar to this one

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
shrek said:
Shaft is a bad muther
Shut yo mouth. 8)

I had a chain and yes my pants had stains on the legs.

My Sabre is a shaft and I love it!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I like that my bike has a shaft and I don't really have to deal with the maintenance, but I do wish that I could change the gearing ratio. When I'm out on the interstate I'd like the rpms to be lower. My only option is a taller tire and that won't be nearly as effective as a sprocket change. I think I can deal with it though if it means I can go cross country without worrying about oiling it or having a chain snap and hit me in the leg (I know someone who got hit by his. He said it hurt...).

Isn't the normal interval for maintenance about 500 miles for a chain and 8000 miles for a shaft if you ignore cleaning?

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you inspect your bike each time you take it out for a ride you would notice a loose or damaged chain.

However most people just hop on and go, I like to give it a once over because it is so easy to get hurt on a bike if there is even one little thing wrong with it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Get the Shaft

This is my first bike with a shaft, the other three had chains. I will never go back. It great. No droop, no grease. I live on a gravel road so a closed drive system is better for me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My bike is chain, And I have driven shaft bikes before, and when I go for another bike, I'm looking everywhere else around getting a shaft driven bike.

I don't like the feel, it steals power, and It looks like crap, low mat. is all it's got going for it. The Chain isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I have the chain driven '07 750 Spirit--- love the bike, and I know you can add stuff on for tall people-- lord this site is full of mods-- however, I'm 5 foot 1 with pretty short legs-- on a long trip, I'm wishing I had somewhere to stretch out my legs. Be sure that the bike is a good fit for you--- have you sat on the 1100 ??

Regarding the chain maintenance-- here is a link to one of my threads with lots of great chain lubing advice--you may want to look it over-- good luck on your decision!! :)

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40293&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

1 - 20 of 44 Posts