Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had both chains and shafts but not on a 750 Honda. I have my 750 Spirit with a 37 rear sprocket it is a great gearing combo, much much more pleasant than the 42 sprocket.
I had a 900 Vulcan shaft and was pretty disappointed with the gearing, so much so I got rid of it quickly.
Has anyone had a 750 with an smaller sprocket and then moved on to a newer 750 shaft. Were you disappointed in the gearing change? I'd really like to get FI and that is only available on the shaft models.
The shaft on a 1100 Shadows were just fine for gearing but that 900 Vulcan was very buzzie in my opinion.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've got a shaft-driven 750, I like it. Don't really notice too much buzzing in it, even at superslab speeds. It does get more than a little buzzy at 85+ but that doesn't bother me as I don't ride at that speed for long at all. Below 65 I don't really feel much at all with my iso grips.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I thought the 900 vulcans were belt driven?

My Spirit 1100 is shaft. I'm happy with the gearing of it. I do with there wasn't such a gap between 1st and 2nd sometimes, but that really couldn't have been fixed with a sprocket change anyways.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a 750 shaft drive, I notice the shaft drive more in stop and go traffic, off and on the throttle, some backlash. I think the bike could definitely use another gear. Im always checking to see if I'm in 5th at freeway speeds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the Vulcan was belt and buzzie, the gearing was too short.
That buzziness is much less on a 750 with a 37 tooth and the single pin motor vibration is not the same has high rpm buzz

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Yes the Vulcan was belt and buzzie, the gearing was too short.
That buzziness is much less on a 750 with a 37 tooth and the single pin motor vibration is not the same has high rpm buzz
@qdude1, I'm glad you showed up on this forum. Your posts and the responses they got have me totally convinced about swapping out the spocket. My bike thanks you. My butt thanks you.:wink:

At 60 mph, I can ride all day; at 65 mph, she feels too much like a solid-mount 1200 XL.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Has anyone had a 750 with an smaller sprocket and then moved on to a newer 750 shaft. Were you disappointed in the gearing change?
How would they not be disappointed? I know I would be. That highway buzz is one of the reasons I got rid of my shaft drive 750 Shadow. If I was in your position with a chain drive 750 with a smaller rear sprocket I would NOT move to a shaft drive 750 just to get fuel injection. The trade off is not worth it. Isn't the new Shadow RS both chain drive, and fuel injected? That might be worth considering.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lakota, you bet
I have been here for years, but have dropped in and out of shadows. You will be so happy with the change out, the people who are disappointed are the guys who spin the back wheel at take off... other wise it is all much more pleasant to ride with a reduced sprocket.
Another odd quirk on this forum is that if you post on certain subject the frequent posters will hammer you for asking about something posted earlier. Not everybody reads this forum everyday and it is ok to go over previously discussed subjects, in my opinion. Because every subject posted here has probably been posted before.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Lakota, you bet
. . . .Another odd quirk on this forum is that if you post on certain subject the frequent posters will hammer you for asking about something posted earlier. Not everybody reads this forum everyday and it is ok to go over previously discussed subjects, in my opinion. Because every subject posted here has probably been posted before.
Hey, this is one of those things that I didn't even know I had an issue with until you guys brought it up. So I wouldn't have thought to search on it. I'm real glad you did.

Most of the time, I just try to ignore stuff that isn't helpful. Opinions are like . . . you know.

So again, thanks!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Another odd quirk on this forum is that if you post on certain subject the frequent posters will hammer you for asking about something posted earlier. Not everybody reads this forum everyday and it is ok to go over previously discussed subjects, in my opinion. Because every subject posted here has probably been posted before.
I can understand if something was just posted recently, and is still an active topic, but otherwise I see no problem with rehashing an old topic. If we didn't we'd run out of stuff to talk about, and might as well shut down the forum. Just because we talked about something last year should not mean we can't talk about it again today.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks Lantesh, what I suspected and was afraid of too buzzie. No real improvement in gearing with a shaft model apparently. It certainly was the case with the Vulcan 900. The best reason to stay with a chain.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 750 shaft drive, I notice the shaft drive more in stop and go traffic, off and on the throttle, some backlash. I think the bike could definitely use another gear. Im always checking to see if I'm in 5th at freeway speeds.
This is 100% my feelings exactly I am always checking for that much needed 6th gear on the highway.... I'd pay an extra $500-$1000 for this 750 with 6 speeds... it would keep me from even thinking about a different bike if it had that.... ARE YOU LISTENING HONDA?? I hope so.... But I love it none the less,, but it does need a little help from 65mph and up....

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Why would a change on the back have any impact on the speedo?
Can't answer, but I'd often see the same questions on Harley forums:

1. Sprocket teeth change
2. Speedo mod to compensate
3. Why is the speedo mod necessary

In that order. Maybe someone here can put it to rest.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Why would a change on the back have any impact on the speedo?
It depends on where the speed measurement is taken from. I remember on my 1100 Shadow it was cable driven by the front wheel, so if that bike had had a chain and sprockets you could change them all you want, and it wouldn't matter. On the 750 I don't know where the speedo is driven from. If rear wheel speed is used then the speedo will be correct. If the transmission output is measured like on some cars then changing the rear sprocket will screw up the reading. So basically the question can't be answered until we know what drives the speedo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.