Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know. Everyone, literally, everyone has stated it's cheaper to buy a chain drive bike... I bought 2 chain drive bikes... Ones screams like a possessed banshee, the other has been thoroughly molested by some crack head mechanics. So my question; Can I take the chain drive gears from said motor and do away with my shaft? Thanks y'all for any informative advice and I'm gonna try my theory was hoping someone would have personal experiences with it

·
Registered
606 Posts
The output shaft of the motor would be the easy part. One just turns a toothed sprocket. The other a 90 degree gear assembly. I would think the hard part would be making something up to cover the open rear wheel and fit the rear sprocket.

But no. It would be easier and cheaper to fix up one of your existing bikes, or buy a chain-driven bike that works...

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,141 Posts
The output shaft of the motor would be the easy part. One just turns a toothed sprocket. The other a 90 degree gear assembly. I would think the hard part would be making something up to cover the open rear wheel and fit the rear sprocket.

But no. It would be easier and cheaper to fix up one of your existing bikes, or buy a chain-driven bike that works...
My take and it is impossible to know without finding out the bikes involved.

The chain drive versions use a different crankcase casting than the shaft drives, that maybe simple although time consuming, with checks of dimensions or it could be a cascade of excrement.
The shaft drive 750 Aero, Spirit , Phantom compared to a chain drive ACE, Spirit and 750RS are prime examples of the simplest forms of differences.
The wheels themselves with the cush drive are probably OK as both use the drive fingers, but the drive hub has to match and line up, brakes are probably OK.
Then you get the swing arm and I have no idea on the pivot similarities or how chain alignment will want to match up, this may invove major fabrication or not.
Then you get into axles, spacers and chain guard.

I agree it sure seems as if switching to a chain drive bike is a better proposition.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Keep in mind that chain bikes have a double swing arm holding the wheel on both sides while shaft drive bikes only have a single arm.
How you would adapt the shaft to go around the axle?

·
Premium Member
3,141 Posts
Keep in mind that chain bikes have a double swing arm holding the wheel on both sides while shaft drive bikes only have a single arm.
How you would adapt the shaft to go around the axle?
I look at the tube as a leg of the swing arm as it is structural, but it is of no use and gets in the way for this application.
I think you have to swap the swing arm with a chain drive one, or fabricate one, either way the tube is gone.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I look at the tube as a leg of the swing arm as it is structural, but it is of no use and gets in the way for this application.
I think you have to swap the swing arm with a chain drive one, or fabricate one, either way the tube is gone.
True, but you will have to consider the structural strength of the assembly. removing one of the legs will mean that the other needs to be stronger.
Also, drive shaft won't be as "smooth" as chain so that needs to be taken into account.

Not saying that is impossible. Just noting some of the changes you should consider :)

I strongly believe that nothing is impossible. But why would you want to do nothing? ;)

·
Registered
2003 Ace Deluxe
73 Posts
i suppose there are pro's and con's to all drive types.
chain, shaft or belt.

my 03' ace was chain drive and i changed it to belt drive in during the first year of ownership.
i primarily got tired to chain maintenance, secondarily the dangers of a chain failing while riding.

from what i understand some of the newer bikes are shaft drive, fuel injected and have hydraulic lifters.
almost maintenance free compared to my original ace. (chain, valve adjustments, carb syncing) none are that difficult to do just takes time and patience.

anything is possible but at what expense and value add?

·
Premium Member
3,141 Posts
As a "what if" it is interesting though.
These are a comparison of "fiche" images of 750 ACE and Aero.
The swing arm pivot is different how well that matches up to the frame is anybody's guess at this point.

Personally I don't find chain maintenance a problem and I would not be able to find my current ratio (16x44) with a belt. (-;
1605714809896.png

Aero Frame

ACE Frame

·
Registered
448 Posts
I know. Everyone, literally, everyone has stated it's cheaper to buy a chain drive bike... I bought 2 chain drive bikes... Ones screams like a possessed banshee, the other has been thoroughly molested by some crack head mechanics. So my question; Can I take the chain drive gears from said motor and do away with my shaft? Thanks y'all for any informative advice and I'm gonna try my theory was hoping someone would have personal experiences with it
It's not possible without swapping out the entire engine/swingarm/frame.
Wait wait that adds up to a completely different bike... :unsure:
Swapping the tag to a chain drive bike would be the easiest conversion.

If you want a chain drive bike, sell the shafty and buy a chain drive bike, that would cost near nothing in time, labor, or money.

If the chain drives you have bought so far have been dogs, take the next one to a mechanic to check-out before buying.
Must be a slow day where you are today.
dream on,
:)

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,943 Posts
If you have enough money you can build it any way you want.
But will it be safe and street legal and be able to be licensed?
Check this drive system.

Reactions: Big Shrek

·
Registered
657 Posts
You guys apparently lack the vision and "drive" (lol) to just get'r-done-ol'-sons.... I'll post my victory pics
Thats the attitude......I will have my vote for you all ready to go for February 2021 Bike of the month contest!!

Reactions: CSRoad

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
4,963 Posts
If you have enough money you can build it any way you want.
But will it be safe and street legal and be able to be licensed?
Check this drive system.

Bad Ass!

Reactions: punxsybob

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,938 Posts
You guys apparently lack the vision and "drive" (lol) to just get'r-done-ol'-sons.... I'll post my victory pics
No, I have vision and the machining ability,space, and metal fabrication background but dicking around with a Shadow isn't my vision for sure. Skinnying down a Valkyrie with a supercharger, Oh Hell Yeah! But when reality hits, I'm 67' yrs. old and I'm satisfied immensely with my Fat Gurl. I always wanted to build a SOHC 750 Honda custom but life takes you away so to speak. Basically Git Ur Done while you have the aspiration but remember $$$,responsibility, and life obligations comes first regardless. Just find a better choice of bike to do.

·
Registered
1983 VT500C, 1985 parts VT700C
602 Posts
I've never, ever understood why someone would want a chain drive on a bike
if a shaft drive was available. It's so much less of a headache.
Easier tire removal and replacement, faster brake jobs, less maintenance,
and it's a land of no complications.

Even belt drive makes more sense than chains...
Why would anyone voluntarily put themselves through chain maintenance??
I stopped messing with those dang thangs back in the 90's

Reactions: Troy Jollimore

·
Premium Member
3,141 Posts
This is one of those agree to disagree things. (-;

I agree on the less maintenance, but it is not as bad as it used to be.

With the cush drive set up there is little difference the wheel separates at the same place. The brakes and wheels are often the same, the drive hub is different.
The bonus to chain drive is drive train efficiency, ease of final drive gear changes, reduced weight, better handling and compared to some suspension geometry set-ups lack of torque steer or jacking.

Shaft drives are a niche market.
There are good reasons why you don't find shaft drive or belts on most motorcycles.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm definitely with @Big Shrek on this.
True chain is not as used to be but I haven't look at my shaft drive since checking the oil level back in Aug when I bought it. On the ST1300 last time I did anything was last year.
Imagine going on a touring trip of 5000 miles and have to check the chain every 500 miles.

·
Premium Member
3,141 Posts
I grant you that, a shaft drive may make sense for transcontinental rides.

I've never done that kind of mileage, on my ACE out on the road at 800km/500mi I visually check the chain slack with my boot toe and roll the bike while lubing the lower chain run.
It is unlikely except with a brand new chain, that it will need adjustment until a couple of thousand paved road miles. A maintained, modern, decent quality, chain will do greater than 20,000 miles easily.

According to my reading most North American riders travel 2 to 3 thousand miles a year and this is borne out by the mileage one finds on used bikes.
For most this really makes the choice of final drive a moot point.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts