Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just got my 2011 phantom a couple weeks ago and when taking it to work and hitting 4th gear at about 40-50 it shakes real bad, almost like the tires are out of alignment or something. I thought maybe it was the road or me just being a new rider. But something is telling me that its not just me. I had them look at it at the dealer and they laughed and said I was prob just in the wrong gear and/or its just me being a new rider. Well on the way home from there I was on a new perfect paved road in 4th gear and it shook at 45-55 (didnt go higher than that though), so I don't believe this is on me being a new rider. Im thinking of taking to to one of my dads friends that has been riding for a long time and having him test it as well, to take myself out of the equation.

The reason for me writing is, has anyone else experience this and if so what was the solution?

Thanks in advance for any advise/suggestions!

James

·
Registered
17,138 Posts
I live in the rural area, and I MIGHT be shifting to third @ 45-50MPH when I take off from the house ~ Shift to fifth @ 85-90...
I wonder???? Check wheel balance???
Dennis
Sturgis2011

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Have you hit a really big pot hole or curb or anything that could have screwed up your rim?
If not, check 3rd gear at 45-55?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hm.. nope no pot holes or curbs hit, only has 75 miles on the thing.

It shakes in either 3rd or 4th, as I have tried it both ways. sorry for leaving that portion out. Seems like right when it goes from 39 to 40+ the bike shakes.

Here is what I have been doing shift wise most of the time:

0-15 1st (sometimes shorter)
15-25 (2nd)
25-35/40 (3rd)
40-55 (4th)

Is this the incorrect way to be shifting? This is the rundown the salesman gave me when purchasing the bike, so that's what I have been doing.

Again thanks for the assistance!

James

·
Registered
17,138 Posts
My book has a "suggested shift speed" listed, I`ve read it, but don`t remember what it is...
I shift according to feel...
You got a Chain??? Is it adjusted correctly???Did someone from the shop ride the Bike and check it fer ya???(prolly not)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Yes, out of balance which often shows up as a harmonic, ie: at certain speeds it get worse. Rim might have not been tweaked properly if it has spokes. That is easy to check by jacking and spinning. Tire belts can also do that and usually shows up as tires needing excess weighting during balance.

Take it to the stealership and toss the wise guy the keys.

·
Registered
302 Posts
It would be good to let your dad's friend take it for a ride. A noticeable shake or wobble on a new bike isn't right. I'm thinking tire balance or a wheel that's not trued up. Is it the kind of wobble that you feel through the handlebars?

Dealer should not be laughing this off. If your dad's friend feels it too, maybe he could accompany you to the dealer, and you might want to ask to speak to the owner/manager of the place if you get no cooperation. They have a responsibility and a reputation to think about.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The balancing problem I know well from my Miata, they are known to have a 65 mph shake, after 68 it would stop.

Alot of 'experts' had their theries on every possible cause. I simply bought a quality set of wheels balanced to 75 mph (most are only balanced at 60 mph) and the problem was solved, had my old wheels re-balanced to 75, never had the problem again.

(the Miata has 230 wheel HP .... not your average Miata)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got back a bit ago from having my dads friend test it out, and he noticed the shake as well. So im going to maybe take it in (weather permitting) tomorrow and have them re-check it out. He mentioned something about the balance and maybe a few things need to be tightened up, i forget what he called it but its between the forks. Also he mentioned that he had a bike once that the wire spokes weren't tightened and it gave a shake, so i may mention that as well to Honda.

Again, I appreciate the responses and will keep this thread updated so if someone else has the problem they can get it looked at and fixed as well.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
If the vibration is cyclic (while maintaining a constant speed the problem occurs in cycles) then the tires are most definitely out of round. This happens when both tires are out of round and the vibration grows as the tires come into perfect alignment with each other, and then fades as the rotation takes them back out of alignment, then the cycle repeats itself. If only one is out of round this cycling may not be as apparent and only appear as a normal out of balance type of issue.

Out of round tires are more common than you think. I had a set of replacements out by more than 1/2 an inch each and this cycling was bad enough my teeth chattered. I had to grit my teeth to keep from biting my tongue between 50 and 60mph. LOL

Of course it could always be that the rims are not true either, have the dealership pull the wheels and check them on the truing jig, this will also show if the tires are out of round.

If the dealership where you bought the bike is unwilling to help then go to another Honda dealer for assistance, I've had this issue with some dealers in this area. If the second dealer finds the warranty issue and corrects it, then contact Honda directly and inform them of the mistreatment you received at the first dealership, I'm sure they would like to know.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys! I will definatly hit them up and have them look at it soon. Also just another thing I realized I left out and just remembered while talking with my wife is, if you are up at 40-55, and pull in the clutch it gets smooth. So not sure if that narrows it down or broadens the issue.

But again, much thanks. I love this forum.

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,079 Posts
I just noticed that you are in NW Indiana. Which dealer are you taking it to there? (I used to live in NW Indiana myself)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Taking it to Lake Cycle in Merrillville, Is the one down on 30 in Hobart/Valpo better?

The guys at Lake Cycle are really nice, just i think they thought it was cuz I was a new rider. Maybe if I take it back in and say I had a buddy who has been riding longer than I have been alive and he says it shakes, they will take a closer look at it.

I just noticed that you are in NW Indiana. Which dealer are you taking it to there? (I used to live in NW Indiana myself)

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,079 Posts
Taking it to Lake Cycle in Merrillville, Is the one down on 30 in Hobart/Valpo better?

The guys at Lake Cycle are really nice, just i think they thought it was cuz I was a new rider. Maybe if I take it back in and say I had a buddy who has been riding longer than I have been alive and he says it shakes, they will take a closer look at it.
I liked the parts guys ok at Lake Cycle, but the rest just gave me a sketchy impression. I will say that I never had my bike worked on at Lake Cycle, but part of that was that I thought their prices were a little high.

When I need new tires for my bike I took it to B&E in Valpo and for the most part they did a good job and answered all my questions and I only have a small complaint about them which was that I asked them to look at my rear brake while they had the back wheel off because of a loud and annoying squeak. They told me it looked fine and so of course the squeak was still there.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
Thanks guys! I will definatly hit them up and have them look at it soon. Also just another thing I realized I left out and just remembered while talking with my wife is, if you are up at 40-55, and pull in the clutch it gets smooth. So not sure if that narrows it down or broadens the issue.

But again, much thanks. I love this forum.
This new info changes everything unless the loss of power means you have now slowed below the speed required for the vibration. If not mistaken the new 750's are single pin crank design and this brings with it some inherent vibration, but gives that Harley like sound.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
B&E thats it. Thanks for the info, ill take it to LC and see if they give me the run around again, if they do Ill head down to B&E, im getting almost a half day tomorrow, so perfect day for riding :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brought the bike to work today, im going to call when they open at 10 and see if they can look at it. If so I will take it down at lunch and have a co-worker bring me back to work.

Again, thanks for all of your assistance with this. Ill update with the outcome.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts