Honda Shadow Forums banner

she lives!!!

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  s3v3rth3stars 
#1 ·
i finally got her started yesterday.. shed been sitting for like 7 years and what a good feeling to get her heart beating again!

but now i am faced with a couple of issues that i need help with maybe you guys can help me out.

can i use regular automotive antifreeze? is it ok to run an automotive engine flush in a motorcycle?

and lastly how does the healight assembly come off? i got a light that was in better shape than the original but when i went to replace it i noticed the assembly is stuffed with a harness.

and lastly but most importantly my tach isnt working where can i start trying to fix this, this is my biggest issue.

thanks for all the support. this is my first bike and my first experience working on one, you guys helped me remove the starter, find the right tools for the spark plugs, figure out my no start issue, and gave me a well rounded general knowledge on how to do everything i appreciate it very much.

#2 ·
First off ,
It`s NOT OK to run regular auto antifreeze. :oops: You have to buy some that DOES NOT cotain silicates. They will eat up, and spit out, your water pump. :cry:
If you want to flush your engine, I`d use SEA FOAM in the crankcase for a engine flush, but you might not need to flush.
Change the plugs,antifreeze(silicate free),oil (AMSOIL MOTORCYCLE OIL),filter air and oil.
AND last but not least............
What kinda bike are we talking about here?? :?:

#5 ·
If you're not getting any fuel, make sure the fuel filter isn't clogged. Replace it if you haven't already. If that doesn't get you going, check the needle valve in the carb. It may be stuck closed. Sometimes just rapping on the carb bowl with a screwdriver handle will pop it loose and some seafoam or other good cleaner will clean out the gunk. Worst case, you will have to remove the carb, take it apart, and clean everything with carb cleaner. If you have access to an air hose to blow out the orfices that helps too. Just be very careful that you don't blow away any of the parts. Any adjustment screws you take out, turn them in till they gently seat and count the turns as you go. That way after it's all cleaned out you know how far out the screw was to start with.

#6 ·
Yup. I was going to say that if it sat that long, the carb needs to be removed, torn down and everything cleaned. That way you can verify any diaphrams aren't torn/dry-rotted.
I had to this with my Dual Sport that sat just one year in my garage. It would start but was very difficult and I couldn't open the throttle much beyond idle. So I tore down the carb and was amazed at the junk in the jets and bowl. Now she runs like a scalded dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.