Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to our local honda place this morning for an oil filter and some oil and my wife fell in love with a 2003 Goldwing sitting outfront. It appears to be in excellent shape and has lots of extras including a hitch so I can pull a trailer with my kayaks on it--oops! I'm getting ahead of myself.

The price was under 12000 and "negotiable". My question is--With 49000 miles is that in the ballpark of being a decent price, and is that mileage anything to be alarmed at?

I've checked the Kelly Blue Book and it seems to be somewhat in the range though extras and mileage are not taken into account in the estimates.

A while back we visited a site that had dozens of Goldwings for sale but for the life of me I can't find it again and the links I visited had very little to offer. How about some of you "experts" out there. Any advice?

Did I mention my wife is really lusting after a Goldwing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Check out NADA.com for the average retail price. Great way to research before bike shopping. But that may not be wise in this case. One should never tell their wife no when she is lusting for anything. :D

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Go to www.gwrra.org and click on "message boards", then "for sale" ads. There are plenty there to either choose from or to give you an idea of market prices.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Try the classifieds in GL1800 Riders board. The also have a board very similar to this one for information. Other site is GWRRA.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/index.php

But, $12000 is ballpark for a GL1800 Wing. Range is from about $10000 for a high mile no accessory 01 to $15000 for an 06 with lots of glitter and no mileage. As far as mileage being a factor, only in the sale price. Wings with over 100,000 miles are just as reliable as those with 100 miles. I have an 01 with just under 80,000 miles, and other than adding chrome and gas, it has been trouble free. And I would not hesitate a heartbeat to head for the far reaches of North America in the morning. They really are a tough act to follow - kind of an ultimate comfort touring motorcycle. And with the coming of the 1800, they ceased to be Grandpa's Goldwing for the Geritol crowd. Man, they RUN!!!

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
sonnybass said:
I went to our local honda place this morning for an oil filter and some oil and my wife fell in love with a 2003 Goldwing sitting outfront. It appears to be in excellent shape and has lots of extras including a hitch so I can pull a trailer with my kayaks on it--oops! I'm getting ahead of myself.

The price was under 12000 and "negotiable". My question is--With 49000 miles is that in the ballpark of being a decent price, and is that mileage anything to be alarmed at?

I've checked the Kelly Blue Book and it seems to be somewhat in the range though extras and mileage are not taken into account in the estimates.

A while back we visited a site that had dozens of Goldwings for sale but for the life of me I can't find it again and the links I visited had very little to offer. How about some of you "experts" out there. Any advice?

Did I mention my wife is really lusting after a Goldwing.
It's a solid engine. 49k is a drop in the bucket.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Some of the newer wings, I mean 1800 versions had problems with frames cracking and overheating, but there were recalls on these issues and apparently fixed. Verify the serial number and recall status. Frame cracking was fixed by welding or a new frame. Overheating was fixed by a new ECM (I think). I used to have a 98 1500, it was nice but I tired of all the plastic and weight.
Lotsa wings for sale on the gwrra.org site
Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts