Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the correct part number for Rotella T 10w-40 for motorcycles 550019907?

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,449 Posts
Rotella T 15-40w is the most common dino oil used. 5-40w T6 is synthetic. Thats the only number designation I know while @ the store to buy oil. Both are heavy duty diesal oil.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
No! 10-40 Rotella is the wrong oil. That is for cars.

Use 15w-40 dino or 5w-40 syn.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I thought the 10W-40 and 10W-30 were energy saving. I cannot find the source now, but I recall reading that only the white or blue jugs should be used in our bikes, not the grey jugs.

You are right, there is no specific Rotella oil for "cars" but it's a stupid point anyway (edit to clarify: by me, since I meant the viscosity of those oils are more suitable for the average cars) since the engines are often the same.

Maybe I'm wrong but I still select just the white jug. It says it is JASO MA rated.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Oh boy. Here we go again on the great American motor oil debate....

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Here is the site that said not to use the 10W-40 oil, in the first paragraph:

Executive summary: The commercial grade oils are clearly superior to the mass market oils. For the best protection in your bike or car, use Shell Rotella Synthetic, available at Wal-Mart in blue containers for $13 / gallon. For the best petroleum oil you can buy, get Shell Rotella T, Mobil Delvac 1300, or Chevron Delo 400, about $7 / gallon at any auto parts store. On the back of most oil cans is a circular stamp with the certification. Avoid oils that say "energy conserving" in the bottom half of the donut. These oils contain friction modifier additives that could cause clutch slipping over time. All XXw-20 and XXw-30 oils are energy conserving, and should not be used in your motorcycle. 10w-40 oils should not be used in a motorcycle that runs the engine oil through the transmission.
It's on the internet so we know it's true ;)

Motorcycle Oil and Filters

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Is the correct part number for Rotella T 10w-40 for motorcycles 550019907?

Well, just to avoid an oil debate, I guess I'll just answer your question, that is the correct part number for Rotella 10W-40. Google confirmed it.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I think MoM had a table with a viscosity range appropriate for your climate, and I think 10W-40 was down to about -10 degrees. That's colder than I want to ride in...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts