Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after reading a thread on going without the shield, I took my quick release off and tried it. The roar of the wind in my ears (I wear a 3/4 shell) was so loud I couldn't even hear my own bike! Is that normal? Or does it have something to do with my helmet? Other than the noise, I liked it.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
i hear my bike just fine. shield-less in the summer is the way to go.

·
Registered
18,103 Posts
I`m spoilt PLUMB Rotten!!!!
I need my windshield all the time...
Once I started riding with one, I removed it fer the summer... I only made ONE trip to town without it, I came back home and reinstalled it...
Mine ain`t a Kwickie release neither!!!
The same with my HOmade Lowers I installed...
Wind ain`t good to me, noise nor the force of it...
Ride Safe,
Dennis
Meet me at Sturgis?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yes-it is normal. It may vary by helmet manufacturer, but typically I experience a similar amount of wind noise among the 3/4 helmets I've used.

Now with full-face helmets the difference is markedly different between my new Icon Alliance and my 'old' (20 years or so...) Bell Vetter. The Vetter is considerably quieter than the Icon, and is what I use for my daily commute. The Icon was so bad that I removed the plastic air vent channels from it and taped over the holes. This quieted it down somewhat but not enough for my taste. Because of this I've taken to wearing earplugs with it and with my Bell 3/4. In fact, at 49 I am very protective of my hearing and wear them almost every time I ride. With earplugs I can actually hear the bike better because it cuts out most of the wind noise. But, as they say...YMMV.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've never ridden without a shield and I doubt I ever will. I do a lot of highway driving to and from work, and after the seeing the amount of bugs splattered across there, I'm convinced that the minor blockage of airflow is worth it to not be covered in bug goop (especially at night).

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Just stick your head out in the windstream to the side of your windshield, you'll see how it feels and sounds.
It is not for me, and neither is getting hit by bugs, birds, and bats.
"Sissy" Dan

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
i have a Memphis Shades batwing, i prefer no batwing durin' the summer unless it's a long trip and batwing durin' the cooler months.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Never had a shield and honestly never ridden a bike that had one either.

I don't think i'd want one in town. But if it makes a huge difference in wind i might have to try one on the highway.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've never had a cruiser with a shield. I've ridden a few, but never on the interstate. I've got a 21" Memphis Fats sitting in the closet waiting for the mounting brackets to show up. I can't wait. Right now, interstate riding sucks. I feel like I'm getting beat up by the wind. It also has my shirt slapping the **** out of me as it flaps in the breeze. The wind noise is definitely at dangerous levels for my hearing as, after any extended period on the interstate, my ears ring for a few hours afterwards. I spent a few hours on bikes with shields the other day. It was hot and humid out but I didn't notice it feeling that much worse that riding without a shield. My shield will be quick release but I don't forsee it coming off much.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Eh, if I decide to buy the batwing I'll have a little mini shield, matters not though I can ride with or without one quite fine.

·
Registered
563 Posts
No Shield, full face, and earplugs here for me. I prefer it. Ran with a shield for awhile and just removed it.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I've traditionally never used a shield as 95% of my riding has always been local. I'm not a long distance rider, and therefore avoid freeways whenever possible. I do have a shield for my current bike, which I immediately took off after a 15 minute test ride. I was getting too much buffeting, and the shield doesn't have an angle adjustment to compensate. Plus at lower speeds I prefer to feel the wind. That is part of the riding experience. As far as noise goes get some good earplugs.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I ride without a shield and find that earplugs keep things nice a quiet. I really can't imagine riding without earplugs and at fifty years of age I want to protect my hearing.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I've never ridden a bike with a shield, so I don't really know what it's like. I figure I've made it 30k miles without a shield, I can probably just go without. I think it just ruins the lines of a cruiser, especially if it has some customization like my bike has. I do ride with a full face helmet 99 percent of the time though.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Years ago when I had my first bike, cb450 I bought a handlebar fairing "just for the fall " and I have never been long without a shield since. I have tried but it is just so much more comfortable and relaxing with it. The National Cycles street shield is the smallest I have had and it does a pretty good job. Would like a bigger one but I think it would look out of place on the vlx

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I have a Memphis Shades windshield that came with my Magna (not sure what model, I'll have to figure that out). I had it on there for the first two days and then I took it off. I much prefer going without a shield. The only thing I like it for was the high speed freeways, especially when it rained because it kept it off of my face for the most part.

But for most of the riding I do, I prefer to feel the wind. I would like to get one of those mini-fairings though. I think they look sweet on a Magna!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
They save you on wind blast, so you don't fatigue as quickly. My shield comes to just below my line of sight, thus I'm looking over it, not through it. On cold days I can slouch a bit and keep warmer. Either way is fine. The right looking shield doesn't detract from the bike IMHO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts