Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay it rained today so I read the owner's manual that came with my 1997 VT1100C2 Shadow 1100 ACE. On page 52 it says when changing gears under normal conditions, use these recommended shift points: 12, 19, 25, 31 MPH. Is this a misprint? Should I really shift to 5th gear at 31 mph (or 50 km/h)?? Seems pretty low to me... at what point do you shift your 1100 into 5th?

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I have never shifted according to the manual. I shift by speed, rpm, road condition and feel. Been riding for 40 year and don't need a manual to tell me how and when to shift a bike, lol. Think about it, are you going to shift in to 5th @ 31mph going up a hill? I think not.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
No the book is not correct unless you weigh about 64 lbs and are going down hill with a tail wind and have a super areodynamic faring from Vetter.

Rev the biotch up until it feels good to you. The bike will let you know, and if you are insatiable, there is rev limiter to keep you out of trouble.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
My bike will happily motor around town at 35mph in 5th gear, but without much acceleration at hand. I usually only use 5th gear over 45mph, but for acceleration purposes I might not shift into 5th until 70mph or more.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
My bike will happily motor around town at 35mph in 5th gear, but without much acceleration at hand. I usually only use 5th gear over 45mph, but for acceleration purposes I might not shift into 5th until 70mph or more.
Agreed,

It depends on the ride, traffic, changes in elevation and environment. When riding in traffic I stay in a lower gear to keep it in the power band so I can get out of the way quickly if I have to. You might start out shifting into 2nd @ 20 or 25, 3rd at maybe 35 and see how it feels. If you're merging onto the freeway you won't want to get into 5th gear until you are at, or near pace with traffic. If I'm going less than 55 I'll usually shift into 4th to accelerate quickly. You will get a feel for it with practice. Like Cbjr said, the bike will let you know.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
20, 40, 60, 80 Km/h
Same as my honda Civic
Oc course I usually shift at 3000rpm no matter what gear

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
redline shift points, pleading the 5th

Thanks to all for the great replies. It is obvious that Honda shift points are way too low. These responses now beg the opposite question, that is of practical significance as I don't have a tach. What is the high end of your shift points? When under hard acceleration, what is the maximum speed you hit in 4th gear before the last upshift to 5th?

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
Thanks to all for the great replies. It is obvious that Honda shift points are way too low. These responses now beg the opposite question, that is of practical significance as I don't have a tach. What is the high end of your shift points? When under hard acceleration, what is the maximum speed you hit in 4th gear before the last upshift to 5th?
Lightspeed and beyond.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts