Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a different style shifter for my Spirit. I have a foot injury that will not allow me to bend my left ankle forward enough to get my toe under the lever. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
You could remove the current "toe post" on the shifter lever and weld on an longer/wider post or an extension. It can be done with a little thought.

OR, you can get an Electronic Shifter. It attaches to the frame/motor and works the tranny lever by a push of the button (up/down). Some are expensive but the your "need" might out weight the cost. :wink:

Look at the JP Cycle site, www.jpcycles.com for a look at one of these units. Other cataloge places have them....most are for "sport bikes", but many riders of other bikes(3-wheeler Trikes, for instance) have gone this route.

Hope this helps,

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
instygator said:
Possibly floorboards and a heel toe shifter. It would still require ankle movement but not as much.
+1 ... seems the most simple and straight-forward solution.

Would it require ankle movement? Help me ... wouldn't a heel shift be more a "whole leg" movement?

·
Registered
171 Posts
TucsonDon said:
instygator said:
Possibly floorboards and a heel toe shifter. It would still require ankle movement but not as much.
+1 ... seems the most simple and straight-forward solution.

Would it require ankle movement? Help me ... wouldn't a heel shift be more a "whole leg" movement?
I've never used a heel-toe shifter before, but I've seen a few of my friends with them. It looks like the ankle has to roll back or forth a bit. But, unlike a standard shifter, the rider does not have to fit the toe under the shifter for upshift. Looks easier on the ankle.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
You can also install an electric shifter. It's a device that eliminates the need to pull in the clutch while shifting (except for starting and stopping) Racers have been using them for years (drag bikes) The device cuts the spark for a split second and shifts to the next gear. It's like an "instant" shift. I don't know the cost but I'm sure you can find them by doing a google search. No more foot shifting...ever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.