Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1996 Honda Shadow VT1100-C2
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new appreciation for the danger of shoestrings, boot laces, bungee cords, tie down straps, or any other item attached to your body or your gear that might dangle down and get caught in the moving parts of your bike.

With me, it happened today with a scarf that I allowed to dangle too long behind my back.

It was long enough that it got caught in my back wheel ( not the spokes it actually got caught in the disc brake system). Though it didn't make me fall, it ripped up the scarf, covered my rotor and brake pads with melted polyester / nylon, and reduced my braking effectiveness by about 90%.

Sleeve Sports uniform Player Sports Elbow

· Registered
765 Posts
Yikes! Glad this didn't turn out much worse for you, which it certainly could have.

Who hasn't had to unwrap stuff that got wrapped up in the rear wheel of their bicycle when they were a kid? Bungees and lots of them, and never using string or rope is the solution that works for me, but, things going into the rear wheel are inherently dangerous. In India, motorcycles are required to be sold with saree guards, as a safety measure.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

Something like that might have protected you, ... or not. I like to wear a scarf under my leather, but if an end is flapping, I put over pronto and tuck it back in.

This young man is surprisingly cheerful about his mishap. That's a lot of energy that went into the 100 foot skid mark.

· Registered
1996 Honda Shadow VT1100-C2
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This young man is surprisingly cheerful about his mishap. That's a lot of energy that went into the 100 foot skid mark.

And on a curve, too!

Yeah, that's probably more likely scenario than somebody getting their scarf or the hem of their pants leg caught in the running gear of their bike-- it would be things that are tied down behind your seat, your sissy bar, on your luggage rack, your rear fender, your tail or whatever your bike has.

· Registered
1,831 Posts
I recall way back when I took my motorcycle safety course, the instructor warning against laced shoes in particular. He said, sooner or later, they’re bound to catch on something.

Advice I took to heart.

I also tucked in the ends of my scarf when I rode back then. :)
I’ve long since switched to a warm neck gaiter.

· Registered
'99 VT750CD ACE
608 Posts
I recall way back when I took my motorcycle safety course, the instructor warning against laced shoes in particular. He said, sooner or later, they’re bound to catch on something.

Advice I took to heart.

I also tucked in the ends of my scarf when I rode back then. :)
I’ve long since switched to a warm neck gaiter.
Same here regarding the safety course. If I ever wear boots with laces, after tying I tuck the laces inside the boot. Even then I've had a loop catch the shifter.

Reading the original post made my neck hurt just thinking about getting "clotheslined" backwards from behind!
I wear a gaiter as well in the colder months

· Registered
3,273 Posts
My Sidi street riding boots have a leather strap with velcro that covers the laces. Boots come up high enough to protect the ankle joint.

· Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,660 Posts
Dressing like a WWI fighter pilot has no place on a motorcycle.

If the laces are too long wrap them around your leg before tying them, I even double tie them. Then tuck what’s left as deep in the boot as possible.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bweighmaster

· Registered
611 Posts
My Sidi street riding boots have a leather strap with velcro that covers the laces. Boots come up high enough to protect the ankle joint.

Bit on the high side ( monetary ) for me ... I'm more like the Tactical type ..., SWAT boots.

· Registered
3,273 Posts
I don't recall mine being quite that high, but it's been a few years. And EVERYTHING is higher now, it seems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts