Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to invest in a good Shoei helmet but am flip-flopping between the RF-1000 and the TZ-R and of course do you upgrade and get the new Multitec modular ????

I have tried on both the RF-1000 and the TZ-R and they both fit very well, I have yet to find anyone who has the Multitecs in stock, they can order, but you have to pay up front.

Does anyone have any of these and can you give me your personal opinion about your likes, dislikes of them to help me make a better educated decision??

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
A good fit is the most important. With FF helmets, I say easy operation of the "eye shield" is a big plus, next would be the "quietness". Tough to "hear" if you can't ride with one BUT most that have either say the "wind noise" is OK.

As for the "flip-mods"....great for those that wear glasses all the time. A plus for those that don't because most of us wear sunglass's. NOT as "quiet" as a strickly FF and if you have "bike to bike" communication somewhat harder to get equipment that will work with the flip mechanism.

It's more a persoanl thing about the flips vs the FF.

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
denisep said:
I am wanting to invest in a good Shoei helmet but am flip-flopping between the RF-1000 and the TZ-R and of course do you upgrade and get the new Multitec modular ????

I have tried on both the RF-1000 and the TZ-R and they both fit very well, I have yet to find anyone who has the Multitecs in stock, they can order, but you have to pay up front.

Does anyone have any of these and can you give me your personal opinion about your likes, dislikes of them to help me make a better educated decision??
I am also looking at the Mutitec. I've got to convince myself that a flip up
is safe though... I think I about have myself convinced.
I found a place on the internet called motodepot.com that has them.
Every place I looked was up in the $400+ range, but this place didn't
list their prices. If you contact them, they will email you the price.
The email I got said that the Multitec's were $379 for black and white,
and $389 for other colors.

I've got an RF series now and they are great helmets.

I will probably order a Mutitec in the next week or so.

I'll let ya know how I like it, if you haven't made your decision before then.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I agree with bullzeyet, but I'm partial to modulars since I wear glasses they are a godsend. I also like the flip front for quick stops like gas stations or to get some air at red lights.

If you have a Cycle Gear store near you they have a 7 or 14 day "fit" guaranty. So you can ride with it for a while and see how it is on the road.

·
Registered
236 Posts
litnin said:
I've got to convince myself that a flip up
Do you know if they have started awarding SNELL rating to the modular helmets? I was wondering that just the other day.

·
Registered
327 Posts
kingham said:
litnin said:
Do you know if they have started awarding SNELL rating to the modular helmets? I was wondering that just the other day.
Not yet ASAIK.
Snell said they would, but no mfgrs have submitted them for review.

Edit: I just checked smf.org.
So how come none of these flip-up helmets are Snell certified? The short answer is that none of the flip-up helmets are certified because none of their manufacturers has submitted them for testing. The Foundation is ready to accept submissions of flip-up style helmets and will hold them to all the same test requirements set for traditional full face headgear. The chin bar will be tested for rigidity, the face shield must withstand the pellet penetration tests and, of course, the helmet must provide all the impact protection we demand of every full face and open face motorcycle helmet. Drinking coffee and cleaning eyeglasses without removing a helmet is very appealing but the Foundation is not ready to give up any protective capability for the convenience.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
kingham said:
litnin said:
No, they haven't... but as beowulf stated, it's because they haven't
been submitted for them.
I sent the Snell foundation an email and got that response.

I haven't looked at any other flip-ups, other than the Shoei, but
looking at their configuration, I'm pretty confident in the way it is designed.

It's my understanding that the newer flip-ups, such as the Mutlitec are
almost as quiet as the regular full face. They have a spolier design
around the joints that allow air to pass the joints without resisting against
the joints, making for less wind noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the RF1000 and love it, especially since I ride without a windscreen. They really did their homework when they designed the aerodynamics of the RF1000, buffetting is reduced by quite a bit compared with my old HJC helmet. Comfort is good, replaceble cheek pads really help dial in the fit. Swapping visors is pretty easy too, especially since I swap to the tinted one a lot.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I can't speak to the flip-ups, but I have a flat black TZ-R with a blue spectra shield that I bought at the beginning of last season and I like it.

It's much lighter than my old Aria and has better air-flow. I do get a decent amount of wind noise though and the shield fogs up quickly in cold weather (I haven't gotten around to anti-fogging it yet).

I tried on the X-11 and the RF-1000 as well Frankly, I didn't think they offered features that were worth the extra price. Maybe the airflow is better, I don't know. The only big difference I found was that on the more expensive helmets the whole liners came out instead of just the cheek pads. I've never had a removable liner that I could clean, so I figured I'd never miss it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm on my second RF1000, so that probably says a lot about my user satisfaction. :lol: I especially like the fact that it came with removable inserts for cold weather (nose bridge and chin cover.

The first one kept my brain in one piece in a wreck, so that's probably a good testimony to the "other" important function a helmet serves. :shock:

That said, I'm slightly less satisfied with #2 than I was with #1 - the fit through the face is a bit tighter and the inside fogs up a bit quicker. That bit about adjustable / custom cheek pads is probably worth looking into for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts