Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife's 07 Shadow is a wonderful low seated bike. Unfortunately, it's still too tall for such a small little woman. In it's normal factory configuration it still sat too high for her to stand flat-footed. I've done this before on other bikes. Sacrifice an inch of suspension travel for an inch lower stance. I lowered it and we took a long ride. She was extremely happy. Said it makes all the difference in the world. Gotta watch tall speed bumps until I see if it's going to be an issue. Handling will be affected some but in the give and take I believe from her reaction during this morning's ride it suits her much better.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I reduced the preload to it's lowest point. That doesn't really lower the bike while she stands but it does make it ride a little lower while she's seated. If I had to, I could shorten the rear springs but I don't plan on doing that unless I see it would really be necessary. If I lowered the rear any more I could probably raise the front some.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Lowering the front is a worse idea than the rear and when you can do it for so cheap (wish i had known these would fit years ago) and for about $65 for the PAIR...the compressed length is only 9.5" and extended is 14" so you should find a good medium in between. Plus she gets air ride for cheap!

monroe ma785 | eBay

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Those preload adjustments are great, my son's 02 ACE came set at 4 and he is shorter than me so I adjusted it to 2 for him and now he can sit flat foot and a smoother ride also!
My Phantom came set at 2 from the factory and is perfect for me!
It's something that can turn someone from not wanting to ride much into someone who loves to ride with the same bike and its free!
Glad your wife is liking it!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
scraping the pegs and some wobble could be some side affects if you guys ride aggressively.

I had a few wobble moments on my aero in some corners until I cranked the preload up to 3 (I'm a 135lb guy) and still scraped the pegs. no way you'd be able to do much more than a leisurely cruise with the forks slid up in the triple tree and soft n' saggy shocks.

I'd try to find a lowering kit for the rear, that way you can keep a longer shock which is going to have more travel for a much better ride and no bottoming out. still have the issues of scraping though.

also make sure you're sticking with a smaller tire in the rear. maybe the front too if you can find one.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
scraping the pegs and some wobble could be some side affects if you guys ride aggressively.

I had a few wobble moments on my aero in some corners until I cranked the preload up to 3 (I'm a 135lb guy) and still scraped the pegs. no way you'd be able to do much more than a leisurely cruise with the forks slid up in the triple tree and soft n' saggy shocks.

I'd try to find a lowering kit for the rear, that way you can keep a longer shock which is going to have more travel for a much better ride and no bottoming out. still have the issues of scraping though.

also make sure you're sticking with a smaller tire in the rear. maybe the front too if you can find one.
If I take the preload up will it give a stiffer ride? With my back problems 2 has worked great but as I'm riding more I find myself doing turns faster and don't want to bottom out but I want to keep the ride soft enough for my back, maybe try 3?
I'll give my son this info when he gets home in 2 weeks, he now rides 2 up a lot with his girl friend and could probably go up a little an still flatfoot with her on the bike, so maybe go to 3 for him also so that its not too high when he rides alone? His GF only weighs about 120.
Good to know info! Never thought about wobble because I never went that fast but knowing my son it would probably affect him a lot more.
BTW, I'm about 150 and my son about 145. His ACE does have one size larger rear tire than my Phantom.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
If I take the preload up will it give a stiffer ride?
Yes but the stiffness has everything to do with weight. For a guy my size (300 lbs) I need to run the preload up to the max, but also due to my weight the ride is not stiff at all at that setting. Same with 2-up...you'd want to run the preload high. For you I'd say 2 is good. No harm in trying different settings ...

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Yes but the stiffness has everything to do with weight. For a guy my size (300 lbs) I need to run the preload up to the max, but also due to my weight the ride is not stiff at all at that setting. Same with 2-up...you'd want to run the preload high. For you I'd say 2 is good. No harm in trying different settings ...
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
If I take the preload up will it give a stiffer ride? With my back problems 2 has worked great but as I'm riding more I find myself doing turns faster and don't want to bottom out but I want to keep the ride soft enough for my back, maybe try 3?
I'll give my son this info when he gets home in 2 weeks, he now rides 2 up a lot with his girl friend and could probably go up a little an still flatfoot with her on the bike, so maybe go to 3 for him also so that its not too high when he rides alone? His GF only weighs about 120.
Good to know info! Never thought about wobble because I never went that fast but knowing my son it would probably affect him a lot more.
BTW, I'm about 150 and my son about 145. His ACE does have one size larger rear tire than my Phantom.
yes it will make it stiffer riding, but that will make it handle corners better at speed. On my new bike I normally run them at #2, because 3 was just too harsh for everyday riding and still have a tiny bit of wobble on some bigger turns. So I'm going to put some shocks what have stiffer dampening to solve that. I will still turn my new bike up to 3 on some aggressive rides.

and the smaller tire was just geared towards keeping the bike a little lower, but some say a wider tire dulls the handling and reduces turning ease... but IMO thats only when you get into the 200+ club. Most sport bikes bikes run a 180 wide tire so that speaks volumes about 170-180 seems to the sweet spot of traction and handling with motorcycle tires. as the rear tire does a lot more of the steering on a bike than you think. the 160-170 tires that are able to be run on these bikes will handle more than these bikes can dish out in optimal conditions. I do like the 170 though for a little added traction.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
yes it will make it stiffer riding, but that will make it handle corners better at speed. On my new bike I normally run them at #2, because 3 was just too harsh for everyday riding and still have a tiny bit of wobble on some bigger turns. So I'm going to put some shocks what have stiffer dampening to solve that. I will still turn my new bike up to 3 on some aggressive rides.

and the smaller tire was just geared towards keeping the bike a little lower, but some say a wider tire dulls the handling and reduces turning ease... but IMO thats only when you get into the 200+ club. Most sport bikes bikes run a 180 wide tire so that speaks volumes about 170-180 seems to the sweet spot of traction and handling with motorcycle tires. as the rear tire does a lot more of the steering on a bike than you think. the 160-170 tires that are able to be run on these bikes will handle more than these bikes can dish out in optimal conditions. I do like the 170 though for a little added traction.
Thanks, makes sense.
BTW, I'm heading up your way in a week to pick up my son from Fort Leonard Wood after he graduates boot camp.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Thanks, makes sense.
BTW, I'm heading up your way in a week to pick up my son from Fort Leonard Wood after he graduates boot camp.
Right on! Congrats to him! Ft. leonard wood is about an hr and a half away from my house, my dad has actually done a lot of masonry work there. I'm sure you wont be bringing your bike along? Its been nasty here the past few days, but I've got out some!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Right on! Congrats to him! Ft. leonard wood is about an hr and a half away from my house, my dad has actually done a lot of masonry work there. I'm sure you wont be bringing your bike along? Its been nasty here the past few days, but I've got out some!
We'll be caging it! Can't fit 3 on the bike and I don't want to take a trip in the snow with my bike!:cool:

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Just to clarify, lowering the rear will not raise the front.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts