Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When sanding the spray paint off the sissy bar the other day, I noticed that the top of the hoop can be unbolted from the rest of the unit.

Do they make a shorter hoop that bolts in and a corresponding seat? I would like to get rid of the sissy bar completely along with the seat with just a pad to hide the electronics on the top of the fender.

Anyone have any suggestions?

mindfungus
85VT700

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
for the shorter sissy bar, I'd look into one from a 83-84 vt500

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Then why did you ask if they make a shorter hoop that bolts on? :wink:
I think you're better off with a different rear fender anyway - maybe from a sportster or something.

I've always liked this '83 bobber. I'll post it as inspiration for you:

Once ya get all the crap out from under the back seat, they chop or bob pretty easily.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still have a second rider once in a while, so I have to keep something, or that is exactly what I'm going to do with this one. Untill she gets her own I have keep her happy.

I like the look of your 88 Vt800, and I wonder what parts are interchangeable, like the fender, struts, seat and lights.

I'd like the fender and break light, but take the licence bracket and flip it and put it in the location of the Honda logo on the tip. It's molded so it will bolt right on. I'd get rid of the sissy bar completely but it's molded to the fender strut. I'd need new struts. I can custom a pad seat so that's no big deal. And of course a nicer set of tail lights are cheap.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Thanks.

Unfortunatley, there's not a lot of parts directly interchangable between the 83-85 vt700/750's and the 86-88 vt700/800's.

If you could get the fender to work, you could probably get the seats to work. Be aware, though, I've modified my seats pretty heavily from stock. My real concern is that on both bikes the fender struts are part of the frame (I'm not talkin' about the covers here) and on the pre 86's the struts are curved while mine are straight, so you may not be able to get the fender to line up in any decent manner. Now, you could cut the struts off and weld on new ones (which may have been done to the bobber I posted, I'd have to see a better pic) - that's a pretty common tactic for bobbing these bikes.

My taillight and headlight are stock, but the blinkers are kuryakyns. Without using a post-86 fender, I don't think you'd be able to get the taillight to work since mine mounts flat and yours is on a curve.

I hear ya on the passenger seat - I need one too. Now, if you could get her to agree, you could go with a solo seat like in the bobber pic and get one of those suction cup p-pads that pop on and off. Mine won't go for that :(

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I was thinkin' back that a couple of years ago, a few folks messed around with their sissy bars, so I did a little search for ya.

Here's one I think you might be interested in:
http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3652
I don't think Thumper is around anymore. I thought about suggesting to you to just cut off the sissy bar part from the fender strut covers, but I didn't think it would be solid aluminum. That's what it looks like Thumber did, so I guess it is solid. If I were you, I'd just cut it off and sand it smooth. Aluminum is so easy to shape - easier than a hard wood.

Shadowolf also made a short sissy bar, but I couldn't find pics, you could pm him.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was a great link, thanks. That's also what I want to do with my bike. He had the advantage of someone who can wield aluminum to patch the big whole left in the strut covers when you cut off the sissy bar. I surprised that Honda didn't offer a version of this bike without the sissy bar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts