Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a nice looking, stock, 10k mile 94 Shadow 600 for $300, yes, $300 from an old man who hadn't ridden it in a few years and knew he probably wouldn't be in the future. I don't know what I ever said that made him like me, but I was pretty blown away by the deal he shot me. Anyway, enough about that...

I got the bike running, and replaced the fuel filter, but it still doesn't want to pull past what I would estimate to be the bottom third of its RPM range. I know I probably have clogged passages and gummed up vacuum slides in the carbs, and I'll fix that if so, but anyway, I had it running with the seat off today, sat my hand on the fuel pump, and discovered that it only seemed to run intermittently, and with a substantial vibration at that. Then I took it for a diagnostic ride with the seat off, and felt the pump vibration in my rear. You would never feel or hear it with the seat on, but is this normal?

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
benwantland said:
I just acquired a nice looking, stock, 10k mile 94 Shadow 600 for $300, yes, $300 from an old man who hadn't ridden it in a few years and knew he probably wouldn't be in the future. I don't know what I ever said that made him like me, but I was pretty blown away by the deal he shot me. Anyway, enough about that...

I got the bike running, and replaced the fuel filter, but it still doesn't want to pull past what I would estimate to be the bottom third of its RPM range. I know I probably have clogged passages and gummed up vacuum slides in the carbs, and I'll fix that if so, but anyway, I had it running with the seat off today, sat my hand on the fuel pump, and discovered that it only seemed to run intermittently, and with a substantial vibration at that. Then I took it for a diagnostic ride with the seat off, and felt the pump vibration in my rear. You would never feel or hear it with the seat on, but is this normal?

Thanks,
Ben
Yes, the pump is working as it should.

It will pump the float bowl full of fuel.
When the float bowl gets full, the float will push the needle valve up
in to the seat to block the incoming fuel.
When it does this, the fuel pressure will raise slightly and the pressure
will cause the pump to stall. Once the bike uses some fuel and
the bowl level drops, the fuel is allowed in to the bowl, the pressure
drops, and the pump will run again for a short time until the bowl is filled.
This is how most all carbureted fuel pumps work.
Unlike most fuel injection pumps, these do not run all the time and keep
a constant cycle of fuel flowing from the tank and bypassing back to the
tank when not needed.

Your pump is functioning correctly.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
You should send the old man Christmas Cards every year.......as a way to show your appreciation..... :wink: You got a good deal......clean the carbs and it should be ready to ride.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.