Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal: i went and looked at a bike last Wednesday, and decided I wanted to buy it. He asked $3000, we agreed on $2300. Then he tells me he lost the title. He lost the freakin' title. So he submitted the paperwork for a duplicate title last Thursday, and still hasn't gotten anything back. My VT500 is in my shop for some repairs, and can't be ridden.

I'm a high school student and the riding opportunities will be rather slim from now through March. Should I go ahead and buy this bike, pay for title transfer and increased insurance and all that good stuff, only to occasionally ride it in the late fall/winter, or should I try to find a deal in the dead of winter and go with that? I haven't ridden in a number of weeks because of fuel line problems in my bike, and am dying to get back on, but I'm just fed up with dealing with this guy.

Advice?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,270 Posts
Waiting until you find a good bike with a clear title in hand is the only smart thing to do. You will be glad that you waited. There are lots of them out there.
-john
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,352 Posts
I agree, anyway the bike will be worth less next year. If someone offers you a deal without giving you all the information you shouldn't trust them. How can you lose the title anyway..unless you didn't pay for the bike when you got it.

John.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
If it's a good deal and you fell in love with the bike, give it another week for the title to show up. I don't know what state you're in, but getting a replacement title doesn't take very long most places. Under no circumstances should you "buy" (hand over $$ and take possession) before he has that clear title to sign over to you, though.

If you're not nuts about the bike and the deal, then keep shopping. If he gets title in hand before you've found something else, fine. If he calls you and you've already bought something else, he has no one to blame but himself for delaying what obviously should have been handled long before he put the bike on the market.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,537 Posts
i'd keep lookin'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
What kind of bike?

While talking to the seller, call the DMV and ask if the title is clear and what you need to get a title transfer.
In Oregon it will cost the same whether or not you have a title in your hand. You pay for a title transfer AND a replacement title so you aren't out anything by buying the bike without the title as long as you have the paperwork signed by the owner releasing interest.

If it's a good deal, go for it!

For the record, out of the dozen or so vehicles I've bought without a title, only one bit me in the butt but I wasn't out anything in the long run.
(I've bought a couple dozen more WITH a title. They weren't easier or harder)

Ownership is important, the title is just an indicator of ownership.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
in his defense, he's in the process of moving out of his apartment. i walked into his place when i first arrived and everything was in boxes all over the place, so i can see how it could have gotten misplaced. the duplicate title should be arriving either tomorrow or early next week, so we'll see how it shakes out. i'm itching to ride again though, and i can hardly say no to the pipes on this thing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,153 Posts
Here's the deal: i went and looked at a bike last Wednesday, and decided I wanted to buy it. He asked $3000, we agreed on $2300. Then he tells me he lost the title. He lost the freakin' title. So he submitted the paperwork for a duplicate title last Thursday, and still hasn't gotten anything back. My VT500 is in my shop for some repairs, and can't be ridden.

I'm a high school student and the riding opportunities will be rather slim from now through March. Should I go ahead and buy this bike, pay for title transfer and increased insurance and all that good stuff, only to occasionally ride it in the late fall/winter, or should I try to find a deal in the dead of winter and go with that? I haven't ridden in a number of weeks because of fuel line problems in my bike, and am dying to get back on, but I'm just fed up with dealing with this guy.

Advice?
Wait for the OWNER to get a title and buy it.....or pass. There are a lot of bikes for sale in the Colder months and even more with the second dip on the way.,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
Don't rush into that deal. You need clean paperwork before making a transaction. If he is really serious about selling his bike and can get a legitimate title, he should have been down at the agency and picked one up post haste. Sounds fishy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,113 Posts
If you love it, it's worth the wait. If it's just another ride at a cheap price, hold off and find better elsewhere.

Hmmmmm....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
617 Posts
If you love it, it's worth the wait. If it's just another ride at a cheap price, hold off and find better elsewhere.

Hmmmmm....
Aaaahhhhh- good advice Kathy....

And i would also add that one should never want anything to badly or you'll be willing to pay to much for it

A killer deal with no title...is more of a deal killer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Don't buy without a title. It is easy to get caught up in "that's the bike I really want". Without proper paper work, not good. About a week and a half before I got offer on trading my Vette for HD Fatboy in sig, I got call from a guy in West Virginia on a '98 Fatboy with 6,000 miles for a straight up deal! I really liked the bike, sent me pics on phone. Dude was really anxious to make deal. After arrangements were made to meet and look at each machine, he said he will call as soon as title comes in! That was over one month ago, no call yet! I a bike is suppose to be ready for sale, the title should be available on site. Wait it out and don't stop looking. Good luck, you will find what you are looking for with some patience.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top