Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have determined that probably the float and my carbs are the problem of wy have gas mixed with my oil in my crankcase,with my Honda shadow vt1100c, I know not to start the engine or it can mess up things, In between getting it fixed do I need to drain the crankcase right away, and put new filter and oil in it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Don't change the oil/filter until you have determined what's happening and fix it.
You can add a simple inline shut-off or just temporarily clamp a vise grip on the fuel line.
I use these but could be sourced locally:
Amazon.com: Motion Pro 12-0036 5/16" Inline Fuel Valve: Automotive
Way faster/cheaper than a petcock replacement/re-build or a trip to the stealership.
just me though.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,371 Posts
I'd drain the contaminated oil, seals tend not to like gasoline.

If it is not going to be very long until the carbs are cleaned up, I'd leave it without oil or filter and put a big note on the handlebars, hide the key also with a note on it and/or undo the negative battery cable. You obviously don't want you or anybody else spinning over with no oil.

If you want to refill it go ahead, I don't think there is much negative to changing the oil and putting on a new filter as long as the carbs have no gas and nobody turns the gas on. I would not waste the money to do it twice in a row, when the bike hasn't gone anywhere.

Although I do like to warm up the engine before draining under normal circumstances, it a cold engine sits for a few hours with the plug out, it will drain anyway unless the temperature is in the -30's.

This is probably confusing, but that's how my head thinks.

·
Registered
17,246 Posts
Yes @CSRoad I like to drain Warm Oil also, BUT >>
In this case I`d get that gas/oil outta the crankcase too...
Chickenmans` MAGNA done that once, and we hadta pull the sparkplugs because the cyilnders had filled up also...

WATCH OUT though spinning the motor over once the sparkplugs are out ==> We gotta BATH in gas when we did that...

John ALWAYS turns off the gas when he parks, on the VTX and the 400 Bear = THEN when I climb on and take off it ain`t long before I`m turning the gas back on ;) as I roll to a stop ;)

I don`t shut off fuel on mine,
Dennis

·
Registered
603 Posts
um, just know that if you drain the oil and don't replace it (leave it empty) any further gas that leaks into the crankcase will be washing away any residual oil that remains, rather than thinning the oil as before.
I still recommend stopping the rogue fuel flow mechanically, by adding a shut-off/replacing-re-building the petcock, and then changing the oil/filter/etc.
jmo,

·
Registered
2006 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750
7 Posts
I would go ahead, remove carbs, then drain oil and put marvels mystery oil in the cylinders (a little bit) and the rest down in the case, let it sit for a day or two, hand turn it with a ratchet, and then drain and put oil and new filter on, then start fixing carbs. It will keep the seals and clutch plates happy.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,958 Posts
Oil is cheap; engines are not. I would turn off the fuel valve and check to make sure no more fuel. Then I would drain the oil; refill with the cheapest motorcyclle oil you can find because you will recycle soon and new filter, Next take the carbs apart and fix the float. Put the carbs back on. Next drain the oil and refill. From your other thread yoyu probably need new air filter.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,061 Posts
How much did it raise your oil level, have you checked your dipstick?

Reactions: ram

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much did it raise your oil level, have you checked your dipstick?
it did not raise it much because some went into the air box a gas and oil mixture, i soaked all of the oil and gas out of the air box, i have checked the dip stick and water down gas and oil are on the stick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oil is cheap; engines are not. I would turn off the fuel valve and check to make sure no more fuel. Then I would drain the oil; refill with the cheapest motorcyclle oil you can find because you will recycle soon and new filter, Next take the carbs apart and fix the float. Put the carbs back on. Next drain the oil and refill. From your other thread yoyu probably need new air filter.
Ok so the gas is getting in my crank case by the carbs flooding, should i put a new needle and float in the carbs or get rebuild kits for both carbs, I have not done carbs yet but im pretty sure that i can, I just dont want to create any more problems

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,958 Posts
What I would do is buy a rebuild kit since your carbs are getting a bit old. You may not need it but ....

Here is a really good video on removal and the same channel has videos disassembly and cleaning. What I like is he has included a lot of tips/tricks/details and makes the job a lot simpler for a first time removal.

Honda Shadow 1100 Disassembly with Carb Removal for General Maintenance and Repair - YouTube

Cleaning: you need Qtips, cans of carb cleaner and some cloths. if you dont have a compressor you can buy compressed air duster for about $8. I have some for computer keyboards that work great

1 - 12 of 12 Posts