Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left the key in the ON position yesterday afternoon. Didn't catch till yesterday evening by which time the battery was dead. Tried push starting it several times. It would turn over and run for a few seconds and then die again. Jumped it off. Same thing. Would run for a little bit and die. Should the alternator on this bike keep with bike running even with a dead battery or a disconnected battery?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
No and no.

First of all, NEVER run your bike with the battery disconnected. Your voltage regulator requires a battery (even a dead one) to be in the system so that it regulates properly. If you remove the battery with the engine running, the regulator stops regulating and sends over 90 volts into your poor bike. (Very expensive!)

Also, most Shadows are not producing enough power at idle to charge the battery. They are actually running off of the battery at idle. (An idling Shadow will quit after about 45 minutes at idle due to a dead battery!)

You need to keep it revved up a bit if your battery is completely dead.

That being said, most motorcycle batteries are toast after you completely kill it. It will not take a good charge and will have to be replaced. Sometimes you get lucky and can charge it, but most of the time, it's shot.

--Justin

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
10-4. I never disconnected the battery. I mean the battery is completely dead. I figured once I got it jumped off it would idle and run until recharged. I've only had the battery a couple of weeks. The battery is an AGM. Hopefully it's not ruined.

ETA: I did try to keep it revved up after starting, but it sputtered quite a bit after a minute or so as the battery lost charge again. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
I left my key on once, and drained the battery too...
You can try to recharge the battery...
Got a meter???
Go to Electrosport diagnosis link in the sticky "useful links", check the charging system...
Good Luck,
Dennis

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Automotive, motorcycle inparticular, charging system are NOT, strong enoung to CHARGE a battery. They are there to maintain the batteries charge, ONLY. If the battery on your bike is dead, you will have issues. Even if you can get it started, it will have ignition troubles and probably wont start a 2nd time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did the same stupid thing at the beginning of summer. I could get it to jump, but if I'd rev it above like 1/4 throttle it would sputter and crap out. Tried putting around the neighborhood thinking the same thing but it never gave enough to charge.

I charged my battery overnight and it has run fine ever since. I got lucky with the battery.

Teaches you a good lesson doesn't it haha? I ALWAYS double check my key now!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I've got the battery on a charger now. Hopefully it will pull through. Thanks again to everyone who replied. And yeah no doubt, about leaving the key on. I always take it out when I'm off the bike. Don't know wtf I was thinking.

While I'm thinking about it: I was doing some reading earlier. Is there any charger that anyone would recommend for a motorcycle battery other than a standard 12v charger? Does it matter? I looked at the Battery Tender online earlier. Saw it recommended on another site, but I really don't know anything about them.

·
Registered
301 Posts
ctek makes a good battery charger. Available at good auto parts stores.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Yeah, I've got the battery on a charger now. Hopefully it will pull through. Thanks again to everyone who replied. And yeah no doubt, about leaving the key on. I always take it out when I'm off the bike. Don't know wtf I was thinking.

While I'm thinking about it: I was doing some reading earlier. Is there any charger that anyone would recommend for a motorcycle battery other than a standard 12v charger? Does it matter? I looked at the Battery Tender online earlier. Saw it recommended on another site, but I really don't know anything about them.
Have used nothing but Battery Tenders for years on all models of bikes, makes of batteries. They've never let us down. They'll bring your battery up to full charge and then maintain it.

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
A regular ol` SquallMart 6/12Volt $19.99-$29.99, is what I bought after the last 2/10/50 amp charger gave up, it`s done a good job on my batteries here on the farm...
IF I don`t shut the Bike OFF with the KEY, I`m liable to leave it switched ON again, I shut down with the key regularly...
I have caught myself NOT switching it OFF ~ if the Bike quits running its` own...
Good Luck,
Dennis

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a similar problem. I bought a "new" battery in the spring. Installed it and nothing. Dead. Tried charging it with my trickle charger. Said it was charged, but still wouldn't start, just clicked. I figured if I jumped it and rode the crap out of it, it would charge. Started it, rode it, shut it off, tried to start it again.... nothing. I thought it was a bad alternator too. My buddy that works on cars told me to jump it again and disconnect the neg cable. If it still runs, its not the alternator. I passed on that suggestion and just took the "new" battery back and exchanged it. Put the new "new" battery in and the bike fired right up. Sooooo glad I didn't do the "unhook the battery" thing after reading this thread. Moral of the story: Once the battery is dead..... it's dead.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just to add to this discussion with my experience today: I came to work at 8:30am, left the key on and came out at noon to find my painful error.

I replaced the battery this past winter, so it is pretty much new. I didn't buy a cheap POS, I purchased the actual real thing (the one from Japan Yuasa).

I have a Sears DieHard (950 Gold model) portable jump starter that I used - successfully. It fired right up and didn't even take 1% of juice off the jump starter. That was actually the first time I've jump-started a cycle, so it obviously works and I still have all the hair on my head, so it must also be a safe procedure.

Needed to share this because a lot of guys have told me over the years that once a motorcycle battery goes completely dead, it's shot. I would probably agree if the battery is a cheap battery, and it's over 3 years old, or thereabouts.

Just curious how much longer until we individuals will need a license to jump start a battery - presented in the usual guise of saving us from ourselves. But, that is a discussion for a different day and different type of forum.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
most car chargers/ jumpers are way too powerful for a bike. They are supposed to be charged with only 1-2 amps. I bought a small one that will only put out 2 amps. after the battery is charged it switches to a maintaining charge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts