Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone told me that my problem is possibly oil leaking in where the stator is. I thought there was supposed to be oil in there since I was told I'd have to drain the oil before removing the cover or it would pour out when I started removing the cover, 83 vt750

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes there is oil where the stator is.

Thats what I thought, but one person I talked to said that he thinks when I lean the bike oil is pouring in there and causing the problem but since the battery is holding a real good charge the bike should still run even on a slight lean.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Thats what I thought, but one person I talked to said that he thinks when I lean the bike oil is pouring in there and causing the problem but since the battery is holding a real good charge the bike should still run even on a slight lean.
With good tires you can lean these bikes over until the pegs scrape and the iris puckers without any problems.

I can't understand why you would look at the stator if the charging stytem is working well.

John.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With good tires you can lean these bikes over until the pegs scrape and the iris puckers without any problems.

I can't understand why you would look at the stator if the charging stytem is working well.

John.
That is what has me puzzled,I don't notice it while riding and leaning into turns, only in neutral when I lean towards the kickstand. Other than that bike runs great and takes throttle fine no matter how hard I twist the throttle, no hesitation, it just takes off and sounds great.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,259 Posts
What "problem" are you talking about?

And why are you talking about it with someone who doesn't have a clue as to how your bike works?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What "problem" are you talking about?

And why are you talking about it with someone who doesn't have a clue as to how your bike works?

He has a shadow too. The problem is the bike runs great but as soon as I put it in neutral and start leaning it towards the kickstand the idle drops and will stall. It doesn't happen if I lean it the other way. I've even tried it making sure the handlebars didn't turn and the throttle cables didn't move either. Bike ran perfect and this just started after replacing the stator, nothing else was touched.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
all spark plug wires are secured away from anything they can touch.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Over the years and the miles a small misting of oil will get into the alternator casing and it adds up.. but when you drain the oil it stays there, the alternator is a pretty good bit of kit, so thirty years down the line you probably have never had to undo the cover, the oil in the alternator is probably a very small sample of every oil change the bike has ever had and can be left there or removed without harm.

John.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
is it in any way messing with the cables I have had this happen and maybe one of the cables is held tight until you lean the bike and the it loosens up, I am thinking the is carb related only, how are the floats? are they adjusted to specs?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Yeah for the record the stator has NO oiling necessity. Its like John said. over time you will see a little oil in the cover, but nothing is actually getting oiled.

I forget what causes it. Its either the crank bearing bleeding off oil or crankcase pressure. I forget.

Stator is NOT submerged in oil..fyi.

If its stalling like you said, then you may have float bowl issues. Or kickstand switch. I cant remeber if your bike has one..lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah for the record the stator has NO oiling necessity. Its like John said. over time you will see a little oil in the cover, but nothing is actually getting oiled.

I forget what causes it. Its either the crank bearing bleeding off oil or crankcase pressure. I forget.

Stator is NOT submerged in oil..fyi.

If its stalling like you said, then you may have float bowl issues. Or kickstand switch. I cant remeber if your bike has one..lol
???? the stator is on the left crankcase cover and is fully open to the crankcase oil. There is NOTHING isolating the stator from the crankcase oil. I agree that the stator is not SUBMERGED in oil if the oil level is correct - but it is constantly bathed with oil.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
???? the stator is on the left crankcase cover and is fully open to the crankcase oil. There is NOTHING isolating the stator from the crankcase oil. I agree that the stator is not SUBMERGED in oil if the oil level is correct - but it is constantly bathed with oil.
yes. left cc cover. No oil
Not on 1st gens. definately not on mine.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Now you got me 2nd guessing myself.

I could be wrong in saying that the 750s are not open to oil. I went off of my 500. I thought the full line of 1st gen shadows were not open to oil. 1st gens last year was 86 on some models and 87 for the rest of the line.

How about it Rock. You can answer this ?. I'll admit i did assume..lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts