Honda Shadow Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I just looked at the schematics for the '85 VT500 - what isolates your stator from the crankcase oil? I didn't see anything.
I don't have my manual. But I can tell you this, mine is NOT opened to oil. Thats a fact. I had mine out a few times.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Starter clutch attatches to the crank shaft. So its gotta be a sealed bearing.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I just confirmed by watching a stator change on a 700 that it is indeed a dry side. Some oil is to be expected but its residual..

So yeah. I'm right..lmao.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just confirmed by watching a stator change on a 700 that it is indeed a dry side. Some oil is to be expected but its residual..

So yeah. I'm right..lmao.
Agreed it's not "sitting" in oil - but there is no dry side to the crankcase. If you take both side covers off you can see from one side to the other. I just re-installed my stator and both left/right crankcase covers last night - then refilled with oil. Not sure what you watched - but be assured the stator is subject to crankcase oil.

Not that it really matters for the OP's issue. I don't think oil on the stator is related in anyway to his issue.

see -

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Agreed it's not "sitting" in oil - but there is no dry side to the crankcase. If you take both side covers off you can see from one side to the other. I just re-installed my stator and both left/right crankcase covers last night - then refilled with oil. Not sure what you watched - but be assured the stator is subject to crankcase oil.

Not that it really matters for the OP's issue. I don't think oil on the stator is related in anyway to his issue.
Well I can say this. When I had my stator out, I did not drain any oil out.

Reidual oil does not constitute "wet side". I had maybe 1 ounce come out of mine.

The video I watched was a 700 and he didn't drain the oil either. Are you one of those who can't be wrong?..:mrgreen:

Not tryin to be nasty to you, but you'll get alot farther on here if your honest and admit when you are even partially wrong.

I do. I don't know everything and sometimes I'll jump the gun, but I always own what i do on here. ask anyone of these guys.

Again not tryin to start sh1t with ya, but I'm not lying. here's the video. Its within the 1st 3 min in.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Now thats funny. we both posted the same video..lmao

·
Registered
92 Posts
sorry Jay - not trying to start anything either - and no - at my age I have no interest in being "right" for my sake - just want to make sure the correct info is put out. I'm just here to try to help out a fellow rider. If somebody doesn't agree with what I post then so be it. I tried to offer my help. Guess I'll just exit this thread now.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
sorry Jay - not trying to start anything either - and no - at my age I have no interest in being "right" for my sake - just want to make sure the correct info is put out. I'm just here to try to help out a fellow rider. If somebody doesn't agree with what I post then so be it. I tried to offer my help. Guess I'll just exit this thread now.
No need for that. You just proved urself to me. and u will be a valuable asset to these forums. ;)

I wasn't tryin to be a jerk at all. So I'm sorry if I came off like that.

We will just leave it at that. No harm.

Welcome to HS btw..lol

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,259 Posts
He has a shadow too.
Means nothing.

The problem is the bike runs great but as soon as I put it in neutral and start leaning it towards the kickstand the idle drops and will stall. It doesn't happen if I lean it the other way.
Think carburetor. Nothing you could do to the stator would make the bike suddenly run rough while the battery is holding a charge. Even if the battery wasn't. Oiled or not the stator is NOT causing this issue.

And there is no way you will convince anyone that the stator was the only thing touched. You cannot even get to the stator without removing other parts. You could have inadvertently "touched" a great number of them. No, it's not likely a coincidence that this showed up after you replaced the stator. But the stator can not be causing what you describe.

On edit: Another possibility is that you've got a wire that shorts out / opens circuit when you lean the bike left.

·
Registered
'97 Spirit 1100 - Chandler, AZ
341 Posts
Balloonot - If the bike begins to run rough when you lean it onto the sidestand, I'd be checking the carburetor float for proper operation/level.
Improper fuel level in the carbs is much more likely to be causing the roughness when you lean it over. - Kevin

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,542 Posts
7 year old thread.

Reactions: Troy Jollimore
21 - 34 of 34 Posts