Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2005 Honda Shadow 600 VLX Deluxe.

It did not come with a windshield, so I want to purchase one. I would like to see what you guys have, and how you like it!

I was looking at this one, what do you guys think?

LINK

·
Registered
597 Posts
Not a Honda Shadow 600 VLX Deluxe, but I had this windshield on my VT1100 for a few years. It worked well, easy on/off if needed.

Just replaced last year with a SlipStreamer because I wanted something a little less.

Have fun in your quest...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I ran a sport shield on mine for years (see below) but about all it did was keep bugs off my chest and didn't cover enough to keep that cold spot from the middle of my chest. I now run a Slipstreamer similar to your link in that it has hand protection - very handy for cold weather riding.

The issue I see with that link are the built-in fork wings. If you look at most fork wings, they are at an angle to allow for deflection. The wings on this model look more like an air dam sucking HP out of motor that doesn't have much to spare. If, however, additional protection is needed for where and when you ride (you didn't say) it may be worth the trade off. Also look at the National Plexistar 2 which doesn't have the wings and is about $30 less.

Jez my $0.02

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
To gauge hand protection look at shield width. I seem to recall a VLX has 32" wide bars. You'll need 30" or more for decent hand protection. In the above link product photo, looks like they put Sportster buckhorn bars on a Honda which are way narrower than VLX stock. While I run an SS on my ACE, the National Plexistar looks like a better design for your bike if hand coverage is important.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I ran a national on my VLX. It was the small one, a deflector, without the hand protection. I like the National mounting system a little better than the slipstreamer. Easy to swivel the shield for cleaning the bike or to remove it for summer cruising. If I still had the VLX I would probably go to the National with hand protection. I ride a lot in the cold weather here.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My lady came with a National Cycle shield. It is huge but keeps me out of the wind and rain. I had to build lowers for her though because I got crazy buffeting from underneath.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
old dad has a Plexi3 on his VLX, I believe. He'll chime in and tell you the skinny on how he likes his. I have one on my Virago at the moment and love it for winter time riding. I swap out to a flyscreen in the warmer months for a little more air circulation.

·
Registered
'07 Shadow Aero 750
3,171 Posts
Um, what's a windshield? :p

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
eh,,i dont have the $$,i was just looking and found the link with the video..if they take that kinda abuse..well worth the $$ for them.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
don't forget about memphis shades. great products and a great company.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
The one the op linked is what I have on my vlx, very nice, easy install, you will either have to relocate the turn sigs(?,I didn't) or trim about 2.5 " off of the bottom on each side(I did with a copping saw) to clear the signals. It is tall, I look through it, as I don't feel capable of cutting the top down without botching it. Good wind and rain coverage.

I rode a lot of miles without one, it's a good addition.

mark

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Mine is is the signature link below. (Memphis Shades)

I'd rather ride without one, but there are too many pros for me to ignore.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
had a plexifairing on my moto guzzi and loved it. I have a national street shield on my vlx. I thought a large shield would look out of place on a small bike and bother the fairly low power. the street shield has been good, keeps pressure off and more comfortable.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
This was before I got it squared away good. Its still a little crooked in this shot, but I have it good and straight now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts