Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 C2
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this on correctly? I don't think there is supposed to be a gap. I took it off to get to my front brake switch. If not, can you give some pointers to get it on correctly? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,221 Posts
Nope, that’s off its mountings as the gap closer to the grip shouldn’t be there. There should be some locating points on the bars, loosen the mount screws and push it around a bit and it should fall into place.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, that’s off its mountings as the gap closer to the grip shouldn’t be there. There should be some locating points on the bars, loosen the mount screws and push it around a bit and it should fall into place.
Thank you! So it's the location on the bars that solves it. Even my mechanically challenged mind was thinking that had something to do with it. I could kick myself in the behind for not taking pictures before I started. 😜

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,866 Posts
Most important would be that the throttle sleeve and cables are not sticking when you clamp it back together.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Sorry have to laugh at this one. But I've had problems lining that stuff up right myself except I knew there was a hole there in the bar.

·
Registered
17,943 Posts
Yeah, I don`t think the throttle will work well with it like that ;)

You know now, that all those things need to line up...
Our Gurus are GOOD,
Dennis

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry have to laugh at this one. But I've had problems lining that stuff up right myself except I knew there was a hole there in the bar.
Oh so I should be looking for a hole before I tighten it down?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Oh so I should be looking for a hole before I tighten it down?
There is a "tooth" on the housing that will fit into a hole on the handle bars. That's stops it from rotating when you twist the throttle. Once you have that in place everything should be easy to line up and tighten down. Make sure your throttle cable is positioned right.

·
Registered
17,943 Posts
Just for Kicks & grins, Once positioned correctly, I "finger tight" snug both bolts, then tighten the forward side first to close the gap, then tighten the rearward screw...
I`d lube the cables and throttle sleeve whilst I got it apart...
Dry Slide is a good cable lube (IF it`s still on the market)

It`s a Graphite laced spray,
Dennis

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Dennis and CoreyP. I found the hole in the handlebars and mated it up with the short post in the housing. Which no one mentioned but I figured that much on my own. After some long minutes I figured the short screw went in the rear hole and the long screw went in the front.(I am hoping that is right.)
I tightened them up with my impact screwdriver.

·
Registered
17,943 Posts
That looks a Lot BETTER, @JDerrick ;)
I don`t use the impact on mine...
Maybe I aughtta,
Dennis

Whatdya have it apart for?
Switch Cleaning 101?

·
Registered
859 Posts
I do not use power anything when I work on bikes. Way too easy to strip stuff. All hand tools and tight enough is tight enough for most things. Axle nuts? I torque those to spec and little else.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Tip for the OP or anyone else, get JIS screw drivers. They work much better on bike or anything else for that matter.

The OP's brake fluid is getting a little brown, bet that is coming up as a project in the future. The screws are very easy to strip in the master cylinder cover. JIS screw driver with a little tap on top from a hammer will make those screws come out problem free. Most likely.......

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do not use power anything when I work on bikes. Way too easy to strip stuff. All hand tools and tight enough is tight enough for most things. Axle nuts? I torque those to spec and little else.
I don't use power anything either. The impact screwdriver I was talking about was the kind you pound on the end with a hammer. Like this one...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That looks a Lot BETTER, @JDerrick
Dennis

Whatdya have it apart for?
Switch Cleaning 101?
I had it apart because my brake light wasn't coming on when I squeezed the front brake. I ordered a new switch. I posted on here how to get it back together. I'm waiting for the switch to come in now. I also ordered a new brake light gasket, as well. I'm thinking of ordering new screws for my Killswitch housing as well. Because those screws are just about rounded out. Which is why I used the impact screwdriver to loosen them and to tighten them with.

·
Registered
17,943 Posts
Yes, I do use my impact on several occasion...
The bit for it is still in GOOD shape, and I`ll use it without tapping on it for a good tight or loose...
It fits my hand well for a GOOD grip too,
Dennis

Lets RIDE

·
Registered
17,943 Posts
Went on to read these posts on impacts...

I used a Mikitta battery power 1/2" impact driver yesterday on my disc harrow taking it apart, YES, I WRUNG one of the 1/2 x 3 " bolts in two...
I got it in my pocket to remind me to get a few for spares ;)

I`m looking to get those JIS bits for Japaneese stuff I work on...

Is there a CIS for all this stuff coming from China nowaday?
Dennis

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,449 Posts
Vessel brand JIS #1 and #2 ball grip screw drivers. They're so good I use them on SAE phillips. Sooo much better but with the QC of certain "manufactures", hard to tell whats what but these work well regardless. Put a little anti seize on the threads for future removal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts