Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has a side mounted plate on there vt1100 and how you went about mounting it. I want to fab up a bracket but I'm not sure what the best mounting location would be and I havent seen any direct bolt on kits. Thanks in advance for any help. Dustin

·
Registered
35 Posts
On my '89 vt1100c I took the lower left hand shock bolt out and had a welding shop weld a 9/16 bolt to it with the threads facing out and used a universal sidemount bracket with a nut to hold it in place.

For $275 you could get this
http://www.accessoryinternational.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AI&Product_Code=CW0144529&Category_Code=Z1R

One thing to consider is that (at least on my '89) the stock license plate bracket is welded to the fender, so you can't just unbolt it and remove it. Mine took some careful work with a cutoff wheel on the die grinder to finish the job, and you can't put it back to stock if you decide you don't like the look.

Ben

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the info guys I think I'm gonna fab up a bracket that mounts like Gonzo had his. By the way guys are there any legal issues with the plate being mounted like that?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bilt one for my Buddies bike...........

I cut a piece of 12 ga. plate the size of the license plate. Then I welded a small tab in the lower right corner drilled to fit the axle. We removed the axle nut and installed the new bracket. Installed the plate with a nice chrome tag trim ring and it looks as good as one of the high dollar ones. We drilled a small hole in the bottom of the left turn signal and mounted a blue LED that shines on the tag. You can't see the LED and it looks pretty cool at night!
Sorry I don't have any pics, but if I get over to his house I will try and get one.

Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts