Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... finally did it, had a DOH moment today and I'm humiliated.

Arrived at work after lunch yesterday and pulled into my spot. Turned off the ignition, and gently leaned my bike over onto the sidestand, and let go of the handles, only to be surprised as the bike kept going over onto it's side. Grabbed the handles just fast enough to gently lay the bike over.

So I hopped off and picked it up and quickly went into the office hoping no one saw me. :oops:

Fortunately it was pretty gentle and there's no damage other than a scratch on the mirror. Anyway, it's funny how you swear you'll never do a dumb thing like that, but I guess it can happen to any of us.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
You're not a real rider until you've done that once ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Kind of a badge of honor I think. I did it going to lunch my first year riding. But, I kept my VLX600 from making contact with the ground at the expense of my back. Ouch!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've done it once when I was by myself. That time I caught it in time so nothing touched the ground. The second was when I was on a ride with my old man. We stopped to get our picture take next to a giant turkey or something. I was the last one to pull up and I gently leaned it over as everyone watched. I felt like such a noob. :oops: It's never happened since and hopefully will never happen again.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
I did it with my previous bike. Its damn embarrassing and shock.

I can tell you how I prevent it now from happening. I NEVER shut my bike off with the key or kill switch. I always shut my bike down by kicking the stand down. It kills the engine and assures me the stand is down and ready to catch the bike. Otherwise, if the engine is off, the stand is down.

It's all habit now and works great. :)

Chris

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sounds like a good habit to start.

When I bring the bike out I hopefully will be doing the kickstand trick too.

Christopher said:
I did it with my previous bike. Its damn embarrassing and shock.

I can tell you how I prevent it now from happening. I NEVER shut my bike off with the key or kill switch. I always shut my bike down by kicking the stand down. It kills the engine and assures me the stand is down and ready to catch the bike. Otherwise, if the engine is off, the stand is down.

It's all habit now and works great. :)

Chris

·
Registered
749 Posts
I too use the kickstand to kill the engine. Pulled up in front of a bike shop one day and a guy standing there tried to tell me that was a bad habit. Kind of changed his mind when I told him why I did it though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
have not done that on the Shadow yet. BUT.. Did it on my 2 week old Warrior. OMG!!! You cannot stop a 600lb bike. Anyway, this is par for the course for ANY rider.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Snooze said:
I too use the kickstand to kill the engine. Pulled up in front of a bike shop one day and a guy standing there tried to tell me that was a bad habit. Kind of changed his mind when I told him why I did it though.
Also a good way to test the kickstand switch... :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
No badge yet

I pulled up to the gas station and went to put it in neutral.
My boot toe got caught between the shifter and foot peg(steel toe's), I guess in the struggle to get it out I lost my balance. The bike started to go down, I stopped it half way down, I was trying to use my arms to get it back up.
That wasn't working, my right hand was twisting the throttle which I had a hold on. Some how I utilized my left leg as leverage to get it back up, probably some adrenaline flowing thru the veins helped to. What a rush!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Christopher said:

Chris
Ditto that's the way I learned.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting idea about using the kickstand to shut off the bike.

I've always used the Kill switch based on the theory that someday I may need to hit it in an emergency situation, and using it regularly builds up motor-recognition in my hand so I could hit it without thinking about it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.