Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I am replacing the rear signal stems on my 84 VT500C, and I've run into a bit of a problem. I ordered replacement stems, as per the appropriate part number (33690-mk3-000), but the stems I received, though correct, do not fit my bike.

As you can see in this picture, my old stem is on the left, and the new stem is on the right. The new stem's bolt is far too long, and also its diameter is quite a bit larger: it does not fit the hole on the frame/grab bar. It could not be made to fit without serious modification to both the stem and my bike, requiring tools I do not have.

(Let's hope this picture works)

Googling around I have found similar stems, such as Amazon.com: BikeMaster Turn Signal Stems - Short Stem - Rear - OEM# 33690-KR3-672, 33690-MZ5-000, 33690-MK6-670, 12-1210: Automotive , but these are not for my bike, and do not seem quite identical; the bolt seems slightly longer and has slightly more threads.

As an aside, I've also noticed that my fender/grab bar rails do not match those as shown in the Honda microfiches. Specifically, I have two holes in the side whereas the fiches show only one.

So my question is basically, what can I do to get fitting stems, and why is my bike like this? Do I have parts off of a different model? If so, which one?

Any information that could be shed on this mystery will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
How about contacting the place you got the part from..... Looks to me like they sent the wrong item......

·
Registered
121 Posts
Exact same issue with my 85 VT500C and a stem I bought off ebay...
The item was described as follows:
"Here is one REAR turn signal stem that will fit Honda VT500 C / FTmodels from 83 to 86. This is a good quality part and it's designed to look and mount just like the original. You can use this on the left or right side"

I drilled out the hole in the grab rail to 1/2" diameter, used spacers and washers on the longer bolt so it would tighten up. It worked, but I left negative feedback on the seller's ebay for misrepresenting the part since I did have to do some minor modification.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don't remember the part number but i did get a NOS stem for my bike from a local shop (to the tune of $40). If i happen by there anytime soon i'll ask them for the part number.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This same thing happened to me, except for the stems match. I think that the person before me who owned the bike replaced them at one point with the non fitting stem and literally forced the thing in, I had to put all my weight into unscrewing the previous broken ones.
I also have the two holes like you have. I made another post about this but did you ever find a solution?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts