Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm repairing my clutch slave on my 83 vt750 and the manual says to wipe a little silicone grease on the piston seal. So I went down to the local auto shop and after looking through all the lithium greases (and not finding a silicone based grease) I finally asked them where they had the silicone grease and they gave me a blank stare. So I have two questions which I'm sure are pretty n00b questions but I'm also sure you guys are smarter than the doo-daa working the till down at the auto shop.

1) where do I find silicone grease (actually i should just google that but i bet you guys know where to find the good stuff)
2) what's the difference between the silicon/lithium base? i'm assuming it must have to do with temp and viscosity

thanks guys

·
Registered
302 Posts
I got some at NAPA. The trouble with Lithium grease on brake parts is, any lube containing petroleum products is bad for the rubber seals. Silicone grease is usually vegetable oil or synthetic based.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you're still having trouble finding some, I believe that most of the dielectric greases are silicone based and can normally be found either in little single-use packets at the counter, or near the electrical connectors in the big box auto parts stores.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Silicone grease is pretty common, actually very common as it is routinely used to lubricate brake caliper pins on cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Go to a NAPA store and ask for a tube of Sil-Glyde.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Silicone grease is pretty common, actually very common as it is routinely used to lubricate brake caliper pins on cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Go to a NAPA store and ask for a tube of Sil-Glyde.

A big second the Sil-Glyde. Great stuff and a $3.00 tube will last you for years!

In the car biz we use it on serpentine belts to quiet them down. A little dab'll do ya.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.