Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Shadow Spirit (I love it by the way - accessorized the beegeebers outta her).

Anyway...Just wanted to find out if everyones transmission is a little noisy between first and second? It shifts positively, never tries to jump outta gear, just a klunk between first and second.

Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Sigh, yes it's a Honda thing. Their trannies will last and last, but are a bit clunky shifting. They do devlope a "ghost" netural too, mine has one between 2nd and 3rd.

It's the same basic tranny Honda has been using for decades, and something that needs an upgrade. Love to have a 6th gear for highway overdrive type of use, (ie' better gas milage).

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's good to hear. I thought it was just me.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey guys, here's kind of a related question: I've gotten into the habit of 'preloading'my shift pedal by applying pressure with my toe, just below the point where I would force the shift. Then, when I back off the throttle a tad I can shift up without using the clutch. It's kind of neat and much faster, but my question is: am I harming my clutch/tranny by doing this? I do it sometimes downshifting too but it does not work as well.

thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey guys, here's kind of a related question: I've gotten into the habit of 'preloading'my shift pedal by applying pressure with my toe, just below the point where I would force the shift. Then, when I back off the throttle a tad I can shift up without using the clutch. It's kind of neat and much faster, but my question is: am I harming my clutch/tranny by doing this? I do it sometimes downshifting too but it does not work as well.

thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
423 Posts
Now Scott, listen closely, I'm only gonna say this once! LOL! :lol:
This has been discussed before and if I remember correctly, we only decided that you would not be doing the shift dogs in the tranny any favors. Nobody actually had first-hand proof that it would do any damage, but we concluded that it probably wasn't a good way to shift the tranny. Downshifting this way is definitely a no-no! It causes the engine to abruptly speed up when the lower gear is engaged. It's your bike and I won't tell you how to ride it, but there's a clutch for a reason! :wink:

Brian

·
Registered
590 Posts
but there's a clutch for a reason! Like Brian says. :wink: You will get more noise in your shifts if you get lazy, Quicker shifts help.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
MarkC said:
Yep, your in good shape with only a clunk, some clank.
MarkC
Mine goes "Clunk, bang, chitty-chitty bang, bang, clank." Is that a problem?

For any forum member younger than, oh, 40 ... that's a reference to a 1960's movie by the same name.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
TucsonDon said:
MarkC said:
MarkC

For any forum member younger than, oh, 40 ... that's a reference to a 1960's movie by the same name.
Hemm......... Well if it don't jump out of gear or cause you a lot of miss-shifts then Nope! its fine! LOL!

·
Registered
270 Posts
TucsonDon said:
MarkC said:
MarkC

In flight or on the ground?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts