Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an engine off of eBay, to replace mine that developed a *cough, cough* slight knocking sound (it's actually quite loud, sadly). Quotes I got to fix it were $2000+, so figured it would be better to get another engine (for $700) and replace it, and that way I could learn a lot as well.

I opened the box today and ... it's not in quite as good of shape as I had hoped. All of the pipes, and a couple of other surfaces, are covered in rust, with chipped and flaking chrome. So, my question is - how do I fix all the rust? :frown2: I don't really want to put a "new" engine back in that has rust spots. I can post pictures if necessary, but not for a couple days (I broke my phone and am waiting for a replacement).

Thanks!

·
Registered
16,269 Posts
Yeah $700, beats $2,000
Vinegar is a good rust buster, it`ll make it turn black as it works...
It`s unharmful to plastic covers IF yours is like mine...

D

·
Registered
11,587 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
And for all the rusty nuts and bolts you may encounter during your engine swap, my old standby "penetrating oil" is a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone. Can save some busted knuckles and under-the-breath cussin...If you don't already have it, invest in a set of metric taps and dies for chasing threads before you reassemble.

·
Registered
69 Posts
CLR, hopes 9, or Ospho with a brass-bristled brush for rust. But the Ospho is what most marine professionals use for rust. You can get it at home depot. I hate to say it, but the stuff that has flaked chrome...you have three options to get that looking good. You can replace the bad parts with parts that are in better condition, you can sand them down and paint them with something...be mindful of the kind of paint you use and the temperature that the individual parts can get to, or you can have it sandblasted and re-chromed. With the pipes you also have the option of wrapping them.

·
Registered
16,269 Posts
AND as a "Last resort" You can "Black it out" ...
Lotta GOOD suggestions here to beat the Rust issue, our Gurus have a good record of helping folks outta a mess...

I WANNA RIDE,
D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
"Captain D"
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing