Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I get flamed, I did search and didn't find the answer for my specific bike. I'm trying to find the manufacturer recommended fuel grade for an 03 Shadow Spirit 750. I know what opinions are, but I don't have a manual to find out what Honda recommends. That's all, thanks

·
Registered
946 Posts
Before I get flamed, I did search and didn't find the answer for my specific bike. I'm trying to find the manufacturer recommended fuel grade for an 03 Shadow Spirit 750. I know what opinions are, but I don't have a manual to find out what Honda recommends. That's all, thanks
My manual calls for regular gas 86 or 87 octane.

·
Registered
368 Posts
What a lot of folks don't realize is that the higher the octane, the slower the burn. Your engine requires a specific octane level of fuel depending on compression, timing, spark and whatever. Anything higher than is required is wasted. If your engine runs fine on regular unleaded such as 87 octane then that's all that it needs. If you are running a higher compression engine that has pre-ignition issues, pinging and clattering on acceleration, then it needs a higher octane level.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have an 03 Spirit 750 and I could swear mine says to run 91 octane. I'll have to double check.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Run what-ever grade runs best.... Manual for my 1993 1100 calls for 91 octane.. I have ALWAYS used lowest grade on pump, 87. Have never seen any benifit when I run the higher octanes. I will run 91, or premium grade once in a while, Like a real hot day, where MPG is important.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I ran nothing but premium for about a year, and couldn't figure out why I was only getting 40mpg. I figured I was just riding hard, since I did do a lot of freeway riding over 80, which really sucks the gas on the Shadow 750. I was finally too broke so I put in 87 for a tank, and got 45mpg on that tank. I have not since run premium in my bike.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I ran nothing but premium for about a year, and couldn't figure out why I was only getting 40mpg. I figured I was just riding hard, since I did do a lot of freeway riding over 80, which really sucks the gas on the Shadow 750. I was finally too broke so I put in 87 for a tank, and got 45mpg on that tank. I have not since run premium in my bike.
+1!

I've tried premium in my VLX, it made it run crappier. Most, if not all, Shadow models only require regular octane fuel (85 in higher elevations, 87 in lower elevations).

Read this thread for more info:

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/53-general-discussion/103092-wide-open-throttle-problems.html

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have an 03 Spirit 750 and I could swear mine says to run 91 octane. I'll have to double check.
That would be awesome if you could, I thought for sure it would say on the bike somewhere but it doesn't.

I actually have the service manual downloaded and searched it twice, but it didn't show anything for fuel recommendations. All I need is the owners manual, not the service.

To all else with recommendations, I'm really just looking for the factory recommendation. Everyone has their own story on what happened on XX octane, then they switched. Personal tests are always biased simply for the reason that they are just that, personal. I'd prefer to stick with what the manufacturer recommends, regardless if others think it's worthless

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
To all else with recommendations, I'm really just looking for the factory recommendation. Everyone has their own story on what happened on XX octane, then they switched. Personal tests are always biased simply for the reason that they are just that, personal. I'd prefer to stick with what the manufacturer recommends, regardless if others think it's worthless
To the point, everything I've googled says that the manual says 86 octane or higher is recommended. Sure, I'm not referring to specifically a 2003 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit, but there are no engine differences from one 750 to another 750 (unless referring to the 1983 Shadow 750's).

Honda Shadow Spirit 750 - Road Test & Review - Motorcycle Cruiser

This above link is a road test review on a 2004 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit. Go down to the specs and it will list minimum fuel grade.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
To those who are reading 91 octane in the manual, that's a number derived from a different measurement technique. In some locations, octane is measured using a mathematical model for the chemistry, that's "RON" method. Others are actually tested, burned and analyzed. That's "MON" method. Others (what is done in the US) is to take the average of the MON and RON number. This is why you will sometimes see something like "(RON + MON) / 2" written at the octane number on the gas pump.

91 octane as rated in Japan, and printed in your manual, is 87 pump octane in the US.

Run 87 octane in your Shadow for best and cheapest results!

--Justin

·
Registered
506 Posts
To those who are reading 91 octane in the manual, that's a number derived from a different measurement technique. In some locations, octane is measured using a mathematical model for the chemistry, that's "RON" method. Others are actually tested, burned and analyzed. That's "MON" method. Others (what is done in the US) is to take the average of the MON and RON number. This is why you will sometimes see something like "(RON + MON) / 2" written at the octane number on the gas pump.

91 octane as rated in Japan, and printed in your manual, is 87 pump octane in the US.

Run 87 octane in your Shadow for best and cheapest results!

--Justin
Good to know.

It says 91 octane on the inside of my side cover that comes off over the tool box. No more premium for me!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To the point, everything I've googled says that the manual says 86 octane or higher is recommended. Sure, I'm not referring to specifically a 2003 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit, but there are no engine differences from one 750 to another 750 (unless referring to the 1983 Shadow 750's).

Honda Shadow Spirit 750 - Road Test & Review - Motorcycle Cruiser

This above link is a road test review on a 2004 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit. Go down to the specs and it will list minimum fuel grade.
Good link, thank you. I actually talked to a Honda Service manager and he agreed that with how low of compression our bikes are running, recommended should only be 87

·
Registered
506 Posts
Off topic, but what sissy bar are you running in your sig? I love that one
I have no idea. I bought it that way. Previous owner didn't know because it was on there when he bought it. I was hoping someone could tell me. I even made a thread about it and no one answered. :p

I'm trying to find a luggage rack for it, but I don't know who makes it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts