Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So thankfully it seems we are out of the worst of this year's heatwave I think we topped out around 114 a couple of weeks ago. earlier this week i was putting my new windshield i noticed that the kickstand had sunk into the pavement maybe a fourth of a inch in the week or so that i hadn't ridden it.

So should i be concerned about this? (for next summer heh)

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
It happens a lot, really. People carry 1X4s with them.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
You can always try one of these, but I think you have to be Canadian to get one:shock::-D.
I've heard about bikes falling over from sinking but never actually seen it. I have seen stands buried about an inch deep. Most places don't really appreciate their parking lots pockmarked. When we were in Lake George for Americade, the hotel we stayed in supplied everyone with a 3 by 3 piece of wood to protect their lot.

Mike

·
Registered
99 Posts
All of us guys park on asphalt pad at work. Here in Ok it has been unbearably hot. We had the maint. dept. cut us some 1/4" steel plates 6"x6" to park on. Our bikes will sink enough to fall over on a hot day.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
my stand has been sinking into the lot at work so i paid $4 for one of those kick stand coasters or whatever its called, works just fine, no more poc marks and i know my bike will remain on its rubber.

·
Registered
382 Posts
A soda/beer can squised flat works in a pinch!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Had my sidestand sink in 2 inches in less then 2 hour on a fairly recently asphalted street, bike was really leaning, another hour and bike would have been laying on its side. Pick up a plastic sidestand coaster at Honda dealership, $5.00

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I made a coaster out of aluminum and sawed it out to look like a bare foot. Worked great but guess either cause it was aluminum or attracted attention it kept disappearing. So I made one out of aluminum and painted it black. That one stuck around a lot longer. Now I am down to just a 4 in electrical box cover. Guess no one wants this.

·
Registered
11,226 Posts
Must not get hot enough out this way; or we have better asphalt in PA:p
Have never seen this happen....even slightly.

(Why do I think this will happen to me in a week or two?)

·
Registered
128 Posts
asphalt melting is never an issue here in New Zealand, but in South Africa I always had a sidestand puck in my pocket while riding. Still use it over here when there isn't a hard surface for parking on: when parking on grass etc., but moslt it lies in the bottom of the saddlebags these days

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
man i get busy for a bit and the post blows up, thanks for the info guys, Only thing i know is not to use a beer can My understanding is around here the cops like to test anyone who uses one of those :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.