Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Just got a used sissy bar from Ebay and I believe it is OEM Honda. It appears that it gets installed over the existing chrome bars held down with two bolts on each side of the rear fender.

Is there supposed to be a spacer or bushing between the sissy bar mount brackets and the bars that the mounting brackets attach too? If you look at the sissy bar mount brackets you can see the shadow of two spacers or washers that must've been there. Can I also use the existing bolts on the bars even though there will be more material to go through?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Should just slide over the rails and bolt on with the fender mounting bolts. Do your bolts have at least 3/16" of extra thread on them?? If so they should be fine if not get longer bolts.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Yes, it should be spacers there, they will prevent the ackrest brackets from scratching the fender brackets. You may be able to get some at the stealership or you could make some out of some small tubing. They look like short pieces of pipe just long enough to protect the plasti-chrome.
Coop

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Those are plastic covers, on newer bikes?????? Mine a 93 are chromed steel.... No spacers, just skirted bolts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the inputs everyone! There were dimples on the chrome ackrest brackets. So if I were to put the sissy bar mount brackets over the ackrest brackets there would have been chaffing or rubbing along the entire length. Temporarily I removed the chrome brackets and directly installed the sissy bar and brackets to the steel bars behind them. Looks good eough for now until I can get some spacers of some sort between the two.

Plan to ride tomorrow, weather permitting and my son should enjoy the ride more. Have a great weekend everyone and thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts