Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a sissy bar for my '98 Shadow Aero 1100 and finding them quite expensive. Looked around on ebay and found some in the $60-80 range. Any reason not to buy off ebay? Supposedly, a couple I've looked at are made by OE approved manufacturers, but that's only as reliable as the person who wrote it on the post. Love to get some advice on this.

Thanks,

Oz

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll bump this...

I've seen the low priced sissy bars and luggage rack sets. I think some of these are sourced from China and I'm curious about the quality. But then what isn't made in China these days??

One luggage rack for the Spirit said "6 lb maximum capacity". Is that usual? Doesn't seem like much...

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
I have a friend, yes one friend, that bought one from ebay and was happy wtih it.
The one I had on my Aero said 6lbs too so it may be normal?
I need one(luggage rack) for My Mistress but have not bit the bullet yet.
Coop

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Don't do it, those sissies are always running up bar tabs they have no intention of paying!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Don't do it, those sissies are always running up bar tabs they have no intention of paying!
you're killin' me brother!!!! Made me laugh.... thanks.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I bought an inexpensive sissy bar/luggage rack combo a few months ago.

No problems so far. The instructions were laughable and I had to run down a few bolts but it's held up just fine, including being loaded up for two weekend camping trips to date. Not a long history, I know, but I haven't regretted the purchase yet.

Still, you are going to get what you pay for.

The construction seems robust, the finish is OK, a little rough in places, but nothing I can't live with...especially at the savings. The chrome is thin...you'll have to keep after it. My bike lives outdoors, so I have to keep after everything.

If it ever needs re-chromed at some point, I'd still be way ahead of the game. Heck, I could totally replace the whole thing new about three times over before I reach the cost of some of the combos out there.

It's in my signature pic...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nice looking combo rack there. I've been looking at eBay myself for one for my bike, and I'd be leery of the Chinese ones. It seems like a bunch of them are cheap (<$40) but then have $30-40 shipping, and I can buy ones from the US for $50-60 + $15 shipping (sometimes less). It's always a tradeoff somewhere.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Cobra sissy bar here. Fit perfect, good quality chrome and nothing missing from the bracket kit. I think it was just under $200. I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Cobra sissy bar here. Fit perfect, good quality chrome and nothing missing from the bracket kit. I think it was just under $200. I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for.
The chrome on my Cobra bar lasted barely a year...

·
Registered
298 Posts
I purchased the one in my signature pic on Ebay. It was $110 + shipping. The luggage rack was an additional $45. The ad said it was used but it looked brand new. Nice construction, pretty solid. It's not a major a major after market brand. I'm always trying to scope out some good deals on Ebay.

·
Registered
15 Posts
just fitted a givi sissy bar comes with rack less than half the price of honda . easy to fit comes with all fixings and well made

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I'd like to get a sissy bar luggage rack combo to replace the existing ones on my bike. Maybe one day after I redo my seat.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been looking at them too. There is one on there for around $60. If you read the info in the listing it says "if you want a quality product do not buy this item". Made me reconcider buying one from ebay. Would never hear the end of it if she was leaning on it and it broke off.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
I've been looking at them too. There is one on there for around $60. If you read the info in the listing it says "if you want a quality product do not buy this item". Made me reconcider buying one from ebay. Would never hear the end of it if she was leaning on it and it broke off.
Listen to me, guys and gals:

The Bestem product is half the price of Hondaline. The Bestem product delivers. The chrome is excellent and holds up to the elements.

No BS here, folks. I would throw my cash down on the Bestem product AGAIN before I would buy any backrest/luggage rack ANY other manufacturer, be it Cobra, National Cycle, whoever.

It looks good, it works and it's priced right. I speak from experience.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Listen to me, guys and gals:

The Bestem product is half the price of Hondaline. The Bestem product delivers. The chrome is excellent and holds up to the elements.

No BS here, folks. I would throw my cash down on the Bestem product AGAIN before I would buy any backrest/luggage rack ANY other manufacturer, be it Cobra, National Cycle, whoever.

It looks good, it works and it's priced right. I speak from experience.
Yes, just went to the Bestem site, the website was acting crazy, maybe it's this PC acting up, but they did not have ANY accessories for the Spirit 750...Looking for some stuff for the Bride's Ride, the other one:p, like Sissy bar and Engine guard. Anyone have expierience with the Mutazu chrome? I am not buying today, just shopping!
Coop

1 - 20 of 21 Posts