Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the 1100 model big enough with enough power to easily & comfortably handle 2 up to travel 100 miles or a little more round trip? Or will I find myself wishing I had gone with the VTX 1300.

I like the looks of the 1100 retro style with the big fenders.

The VTX 1300 has a kind of boat tail look it's ok but I like the looks of the 1100 better.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yup.

Now, the complete answer. Sure it does. My wife and I ride a fair amount and there's plenty of power. We live in FL, so it's pretty flat, but I wouldn't see how there could be an issue with the way that our bike pulls us around.

I'll let some W. Virginians or Appalachicans chime in for their territory. :D

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Well, It depends. Power and size, are two different things.

For two large to super size riders, the 1100 Shadow line may not be big enough. Power wise, it depends on what you want from your scooter. Will the 1100 haul two people down the road for 100 miles? Absolutely. Will it do it with zest and excitement? Likely not.

But, everything is subjective. What one rider finds slow and boring, another may find quick and fun. I can say that while the 2004 Spirit 1100 that I had would move the wife and I down the road for whatever distance we asked of it, the ride was less than comfortable and lacked adequate power for our needs. Between the two of us and our gear, along with the normal stuff carried on the bike....I estimate the load at 450 lbs.

Would the 1100 Shadow work for you? I can't say with any certainty, and neither can anyone else. Find one you can beg/borrow/steal and go for a ride...

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
My 2000 1100 Sabre hauls my 450 to 500 pounds of 2 up plus bags up steep twisties and down the interstate at 85 mph with no problems. Can it go 100+? Nope. But I don't want to. I do want to haul a bunch of crap and have ample torque.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know we're somewhere close to 400 pounds so it sounds doable.

I find it interesting that the 1200 Goldwing with all the luggage it packed & 2 people did well. I couldn't understand why some thought that that an 1100 bike it's self weighing less with 2 medium sized people wouldn't do just fine for day trips.

·
Premium Member
4,593 Posts
my wife and I weigh in about 350 pounds and ride two up on my 750 all day No Problem, so Im sure an 1100 would be fine ! (just my two cents) :)

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
I find it interesting that the 1200 Goldwing with all the luggage it packed & 2 people did well. I couldn't understand why some thought that that an 1100 bike it's self weighing less with 2 medium sized people wouldn't do just fine for day trips.

You can't compare the HP/torque of the 1200 flat four found in the early 'Wings to the 1100 VTwin of the Shadow line. They are two completely different animals. The 1100 VTwin cannot hold a candle to the to the Goldwings pancake four.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts