Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the appeal to those skinny front tires I see on so many Harleys? Someting to me just doesn't look right about that. Also seems like you'd lose some grip and handling.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
190 Posts
caster said:
What is the appeal to those skinny front tires I see on so many Harleys? Someting to me just doesn't look right about that. Also seems like you'd lose some grip and handling.

What am I missing?
same as the appeal to the FAT BOY big criuser front end,I prefer the skinny chopper type look to a big ass front end,just like the big Boulevard headlight assembly just look ungodly ugly to me,depends your taste :wink:

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
It's an old school chopperesque look they are after I guess.
*One of my riding partners sold his Harley with the skinny front wheel on it, because it was very unstable at highway speeds. (of course some may disagree) He then bought a model with the wider front tire/wheel (Softtail Classic I think) and loves it.
I was sceptical about the narrower wheel on the Spirit, but after 40,000+ miles, it's no longer an issue.

·
Registered
902 Posts
caster said:
What am I missing?
Nothing. It's just a matter of aesthetics.
I like it, just as I like the spokie look and don't care for the cast wheels on sportbikes.
The VLX has a relatively skinny front tire (not extreme, tho) and it's a really mild-mannered bike. Other design factors have a stronger influence on handling and stability.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
A 21" rim coupled with a raked front end with proper trail will be very stable at highway speeds.

There's nothing "wobbly" about 'em.. unless your geometry is wrong.

A nice, tall 21" tire looks sharp on the right bike.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: Skinny front tire

I have a 21" Sportster front wheel on my 1100 Spirit. Handles just fine at highway speeds or slow speeds. It's just a looks thing. I like spokes and the skinny front tire look so I swapped out my mags for spokes. I like the look alot better.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I absolutely love that look. It's one of the things I like about my dad's HD. But, just like a lot of things, you do suffer for vanity. My dad wants to change the front out to a wider/thicker tire for more comfort.

Funny thing is, I've driven both my dad's skinny front tire HD and my stock front tire Spirit 1100 across Michigan's Mackinaw Bridge which, for those of you who may not know, has a lane of grating for quite some distance and makes motorcycling on it sort of challenging. IMO, the skinny tire HD handled better.

·
Registered
949 Posts
byg_mi said:
I absolutely love that look. It's one of the things I like about my dad's HD. But, just like a lot of things, you do suffer for vanity. My dad wants to change the front out to a wider/thicker tire for more comfort.

Funny thing is, I've driven both my dad's skinny front tire HD and my stock front tire Spirit 1100 across Michigan's Mackinaw Bridge which, for those of you who may not know, has a lane of grating for quite some distance and makes motorcycling on it sort of challenging. IMO, the skinny tire HD handled better.
I've wanted to see that bridge for a while now. The pictures of it in the winter are awesome.

Must be like riding on a cheese grater...or worse falling on a cheese grater if you wipe out. Not good for acrophobic's in any kind of vehicle though

I guess the designer learned a few lessons in aerodynamics from the Tacoma narrows bridge collapse huh?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
byg_mi said:

I didn't notice any problems when I crossed it on my Spirit a few years ago. Out of curiosity, did (do) you still have the Dunlop up front? When I crossed, I had the Metzeler on. That may make quite a bit of difference in the handling on the bridge because the Metz doesn't follow tracks like the Dunlops do.

The day I rode across the bridge, the winds were kidding up around 30mph. There were advisories on the bridge for truck and camper traffic. And here I am with a friend in tow riding the inside lane...leaning sideways on the bike to look down through the grating. I am sure I was quite the spectacle.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Spirit_1100 said:
...leaning sideways on the bike to look down through the grating. I am sure I was quite the spectacle.
That would have been my last moment on planet Earth. I get jelly-legged when I stand up with my boots on! :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
joepool said:
Spirit_1100 said:
...leaning sideways on the bike to look down through the grating. I am sure I was quite the spectacle.
That would have been my last moment on planet Earth. I get jelly-legged when I stand up with my boots on! :shock: :shock:
I guess six inch stilleto heels are totally out of the question.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
joepool said:
Paulie said:
Yeah, pretty much. But I do find the idea rather appealing. 8)
Well, you can try mine on for size, sweetie.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
joepool said:
Paulie said:
TMI JOE !!! WAY TMI !!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :shock: :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
949 Posts
Spirit_1100 said:
joepool said:
Paulie said:
TMI JOE !!! WAY TMI !!!

yeah...didn't need the image of Dennis Rodman in my head this morning.....

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I start these things, and in the end. I'm always sorry :(

·
Registered
259 Posts
shrek said:
Spirit_1100 said:
joepool said:
Paulie said:
TMI JOE !!! WAY TMI !!!

yeah...didn't need the image of Dennis Rodman in my head this morning.....
C'mon, guys...stillettos, a pair of fishnets, leather skirt, open leather vest... Now that's stylin'!! 8) 8) Not to mention the comfort of cruisin' in hot weather!

·
Registered
521 Posts
shrek said:
I've wanted to see that bridge for a while now. The pictures of it in the winter are awesome.

Must be like riding on a cheese grater...or worse falling on a cheese grater if you wipe out. Not good for acrophobic's in any kind of vehicle though

I guess the designer learned a few lessons in aerodynamics from the Tacoma narrows bridge collapse huh?
Yeah, my first bike ride across we had to use the lanes with grating because the bridge authority was doing maintenence and using up the paved outer lanes. As soon as I could, i got that HD back on the paved lanes meanwhile a buddy cruises up next to me pointing and looking down throught the grating. The heights don't bother me, it's that strange "terrain". Knowing that I had to cross back on the grating I told the rest of the group that I'm going back via Wisconsin! I don't like the thought of ending up like Wyle E. Coyote going through a cheese grater into the Straights of Mackinac :shock: :lol:

Spirit_1100 said:
I didn't notice any problems when I crossed it on my Spirit a few years ago. Out of curiosity, did (do) you still have the Dunlop up front? When I crossed, I had the Metzeler on. That may make quite a bit of difference in the handling on the bridge because the Metz doesn't follow tracks like the Dunlops do.

The day I rode across the bridge, the winds were kidding up around 30mph. There were advisories on the bridge for truck and camper traffic. And here I am with a friend in tow riding the inside lane...leaning sideways on the bike to look down through the grating. I am sure I was quite the spectacle.
:shock: Dude - you're my hero! 8) I still don't care for the grating, but every time I go up there on the bike, the paved lane is closed! I've been up there many more times in the cage and have my choice of lanes!

To answer your brand of tire question - yes, it's a Dunlop. Unfortunately I did not consult this forum before getting the tire replaced last year, so I just went with the Dunlop. Two weeks later, I saw the Metzler posts and kicked myself.

Whenever you guys are in the area and want to check out the Mighty Mac, make sure you knock on my door!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.