Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled my bike out of my buddies shed where I had it stored for the winter, only for us to learn that a skunk was/is living underneath the shed. Didn't think much of it figuring the skunk wasn't in the shed just living nearby.

Took the bike for a ride that day and didn't smell any skunk residue. After bringing the bike home and putting it in my garage for a day or two, I now smell the aroma of that skunk.

My question is this, any ideas on how I may get the smell off the bike. My initial thoughts was to buy some shampoo that you would use on a pet, if they had been sprayed and use it to wash the bike down.

I am assuming, anyone that has hit a skunk would have had the same problem.

Cheers
Ted

·
Registered
40 Posts
We had a skunk get into our house one time... The "critter gitter" claimed that Scope Mouthwash did the best work. It seemed to do a good job but I'm not sure how you'd use it with your bike...

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3
2,250 Posts
A bucket of warm water, two squirts of Dawn, One bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide from the pharmacy and a box of baking soda.

Mix all up and slop on anything that may have been sprayed.
Let sit for a few minutes and rinse with water.

As I understand it the skunk stink molecule quits stinking when it picks up an extra oxygen atom, which is supplied by the hydrogen peroxide.
The dish soap breaks down the oil and the baking soda triggers the reaction with the peroxide.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks CSRoad, will give this a shot when I get home. The bike itself wasn't sprayed the odour permeated into the shed the skunk was living under over the winter. In either case I will mix up that mixture in a bucket and soak the bike down. Figure I will put some in a spray bottle to get to the hard to reach places.

Will let you know how I make out.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
7,275 Posts
Well, when the dogs get too close to a skunk, the tomato juice comes out. They get a bath in tomato juice then a good rinse. Works on them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:
Did the mixture very similar to what CSRoad suggested. it's better but still not completely gone. Really only smell it now when it sits in the garage for a couple of days (its still a cold crappy spring here).

The mixture I found online was 1 (quart) bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide (HP), 1/4 cup of baking soda and a couple teaspoons of dish soap (didn't do Dove).

The bucket I used had a fair bit of water and I used more soap. I may have diluted the HP and the baking soda.

I think I will give it another try less water, less soap and use a spray bottle to get into the nooks and crannies.

Will let you know if the next mixture works any better.

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts