Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me any pointers? I have a 2001 Shadow Sabre with 89k miles. I bought it a few months ago and I just changed the coolant, engine oil and shaft oil because I am completely unaware of when it was last serviced. It starts up just fine and idles like a dream. However, after I ride for a bit and then make a stop and let it idle, after about...say...five minutes, the exhaust has some white smoke coming out with it. If you get on the bike and ride off, as far as I can tell, it goes away. It is when it sits and idles for a bit.

Any information would be GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS!

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,460 Posts
Why let it idle for 5 minutes???
It may be condensation from the area you live in. Temperature and moisture in the air.
But I would keep my eye on the coolant level just in case, and see if your are using some.
If the smoke smells sweet it may be coolant.
Look at the spark plugs also to see if they have a light crusty deposit.

Reactions: bd*

·
Registered
24 Posts
Newbie here, but I've also seen posts about some fuel additives causing white smoke, if you've tried any of that. Mine is doing it now, but I think it's mostly just starting it up in cold weather plus a bit of seafoam.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Could be a head gasket but it wouldn't just start smoking after 5 minutes. Keep an eye on your coolant level.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it. Usually things will smoke on start up, a little strange that it takes 5 minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts