Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
2,530 Posts
ROFLMAO Don...

Aviator...First off, let me say that I have not experienced 'roids while riding...(and only once before in my life...no thanks for a repeat). But, if you are getting them from riding...you are doing it wrong. put the bike on the ground and you get on its back...not the other way around.

Seiourly though...why do you think the 'roids are from riding? Unless you are a nervous wreck while riding and have a constant pucker on the seat or you are gripping the bars too tight, riding shouldn't cause them.

I am usually very relaxed while riding...it has a calming effect on me. The only time I worry about it is when I see some idiot creeping into my lane...or not so creeping.

Maybe you need to re-assess the reason you are riding.

Just my honest opinion...all jokes aside.

Joe

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spirit_1100 said:
ROFLMAO Don...

Aviator...First off, let me say that I have not experienced 'roids while riding...(and only once before in my life...no thanks for a repeat). But, if you are getting them from riding...you are doing it wrong. put the bike on the ground and you get on its back...not the other way around.

Seiourly though...why do you think the 'roids are from riding? Unless you are a nervous wreck while riding and have a constant pucker on the seat or you are gripping the bars too tight, riding shouldn't cause them.

I am usually very relaxed while riding...it has a calming effect on me. The only time I worry about it is when I see some idiot creeping into my lane...or not so creeping.

Maybe you need to re-assess the reason you are riding.

Just my honest opinion...all jokes aside.

Joe
Haha...no I'm not a nervous rider at all, I'm just looking for a possible cause for these symptoms that I've never had in my life before, and I'm healthy otherwise. I was just wondering if anyone else had an issue with it before.

Perhaps I should have posted in a medical forum instead. Whoops.

· Registered
2,530 Posts
Aviator said:
Actually the reason I was wondering is cuz people who sit a lot tend to get them more, and I thought that riding might have an effect.
Ok. I hadn't heard that either. Maybe I need to start walking around the office building once an hour. I do hate a desk job...unless it is nasty outside. :D

I haven't heard on anyone talking about it on this forum. Either they are too shy to do it. Interesting topic. Just hope you have thick enough skin to put up with the TusconDon's in the world. :lol:

· Registered
275 Posts
No.

They can be caused by lots of things, it could simply be a coincidence that you're getting them now. As far as considering why you're riding goes, I'm not even sure where that came from because you didn't say you were scared or even nervous while riding. Anyway, see your doctor if they're bad. Prep. H really does work on minor ones.

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spirit_1100 said:
Aviator said:
Actually the reason I was wondering is cuz people who sit a lot tend to get them more, and I thought that riding might have an effect.
Ok. I hadn't heard that either. Maybe I need to start walking around the office building once an hour. I do hate a desk job...unless it is nasty outside. :D

I haven't heard on anyone talking about it on this forum. Either they are too shy to do it. Interesting topic. Just hope you have thick enough skin to put up with the TusconDon's in the world. :lol:
Hah...thanks, I'm pretty sure I'll be alright.

· Registered
3,522 Posts
Most people get them from heavy lifting, my stint in the grocery store stocking can goods taught me that leason in life.

Truck drivers get them as well, but I doubt that your riding 10 hrs a day everyday so rideing the bike is prolly not where yours came from.

· Registered
1,541 Posts
Spirit_1100 said:
Interesting topic. Just hope you have thick enough skin to put up with the TusconDon's in the world. :lol:
What did I do? :)

Here's a write-up of the subject on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemorrhoids

Here's a write-up on WebMD.com:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/Hemorrhoids-Topic-Overview

Neither one seems to indicate with conviction that sitting is a direct contributor to it. Wikipedia mentions that as a cause, but someone flagged that as needing a citation. WebMD does not list prolonged sitting as a contributing factor.

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gui_tarzan said:
No.

They can be caused by lots of things, it could simply be a coincidence that you're getting them now. As far as considering why you're riding goes, I'm not even sure where that came from because you didn't say you were scared or even nervous while riding. Anyway, see your doctor if they're bad. Prep. H really does work on minor ones.
I mentioned it because of the whole sitting thing, not from nervousness. I've never even heard of it being caused by anxiety.

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TucsonDon said:
Spirit_1100 said:
Interesting topic. Just hope you have thick enough skin to put up with the TusconDon's in the world. :lol:
What did I do? :)

Here's a write-up of the subject on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemorrhoids

Here's a write-up on WebMD.com:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/Hemorrhoids-Topic-Overview

Neither one seems to indicate with conviction that sitting is a direct contributor to it. Wikipedia mentions that as a cause, but someone flagged that as needing a citation. WebMD does not list prolonged sitting as a contributing factor.
Nice work, fair enough.

· Registered
2,601 Posts
Ok, I'm not shy. I have had hemorrhoids for years. They didn't come from riding, mine came from heavy lifting and constipation. I've found that if I watch my diet, I can keep them from bothering me. It just takes figuring out what kinds of foods keep your stool soft.

Hope I didn't offend anyone but I've been there and I know what a pain they can be.

Happy Trails!

sanoke

· Registered
3,761 Posts
You won't get them from 'just' riding.

They are caused by different things.

What they are is the veins in that area blister or swell and they balloon out
and it's causes severe pain.

Several things can cause this and the most common is over exerting
yourself in the abdominal area.
Improper heavy lifting is a big cause ... and sorry to be graphic, but
strenuous bowel movements is one of the major causes.

**edit**: I see Sanoke and I posted at the same time...
But, what he said...

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah, it's not that bad, but I'm 25 and never had them before and the first time I noticed it was right after a day of riding for several hours straight, so I thought it might have contributed. But I think it's most likely from lifting.

· Registered
2,601 Posts
Aviator said:
Thanks guys. Yeah, it's not that bad, but I'm 25 and never had them before and the first time I noticed it was right after a day of riding for several hours straight, so I thought it might have contributed. But I think it's most likely from lifting.
I think I was about your age when I first got them, I'm 56 now and I've learned to live with them. I think the reason you noticed them after riding is that when you have them, sitting is when you notice them the most.

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hondo812 said:
My F-I-L was a commercial airline pilot and had indicated that it was common among pilots. I am guessing that your nick (aviator) means you fly?
Yeah I'm a pilot but I don't fly regularly anymore. That's interesting though, but it makes sense...commercial pilots are very much like truck drivers, except the truck drives itself.

· Registered
87 Posts
Aviator said:
Hondo812 said:
My F-I-L was a commercial airline pilot and had indicated that it was common among pilots. I am guessing that your nick (aviator) means you fly?
Yeah I'm a pilot but I don't fly regularly anymore. That's interesting though, but it makes sense...commercial pilots are very much like truck drivers, except the truck drives itself.
I think you have that backwards.....you have to drive a truck, but airplanes fly by themselves......I do it all the time..LOL

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.