Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 VT1100 c2.

All fluids are recently changed and leveled.

When i twisted the throttle on the high way it revs up without translating it into power (get me?).

But when i slowly twist the throttle and let the engine accelerate comfortably, it does goes faster.

I suspect the clutch. or maybe the shaft drive. (and no, its not the wheel spinning)

Any ideas?

·
Registered
295 Posts
What oil did you use? If you used an oil with friction modifiers it can cause exactly what you are describing ....... ask me how I know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used Motul 20w50.
I used to use Motul 10w40, but the mechanic said 20w50 is better for this weather. (Mediterranean weather)

So now it is cold, about sometimes 10C and below.

Not sure if it contains any friction modifiers.
How do you know?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I used Motul 20w50.
I used to use Motul 10w40, but the mechanic said 20w50 is better for this weather. (Mediterranean weather)

How do you know?
Look at the oil requirement spec on your motorcycle, then check the specification on the oil. It sounds like you used the wrong type of oil. You need one without friction modifiers, one specifically for motorcycles because the clutch share the oil with the engine.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I used Motul 20w50.

How do you know?
You're using the wrong oil for wet clutch bikes. Looking at the spec sheet it's a high viscosity motor oil which is causing your clutch to slip. https://www.motul.com/system/produc...sheets/69/original/20W-50 (GB).pdf?1324050666 You can check out the oilogy thread sticky about what brands of oil to use. http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/70331-oilology-26.html Even though it's says it's suitable for motorcycles engines I doubt it's not for those using a wet clutch.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the bike. Swap your oil with some motorcycle specific stuff and see what happens.

Also, does the manual call for a 50 wt oil?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts