Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new rider and first time bike owner. I bought a used 06 Shadow 750. I am not familiar with how fast or powerful these bikes are supposed to be, but went with the 750 because I wanted something easy enough to manage for a new rider and big enough to take on the freeway for short trips. The bike starts and runs ok, but it just seems slow, and tops out at 65. I'm pretty sure the bike sat for a while before I purchased. Any idea on what the problem might be, or what I can do to fix it or tune it up. I'm mechanically inclined at a basic level, but have never worked on a bike before. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,836 Posts
Welcome.
Put some Seafoam in the tank and ride it. It should go well past 65.
The CV carbs are sensitive to sitting and deposits. Check the air filter also.
If the engine is missing at that speed look into the ignition system. See what color the spark plugs are. If too white it is lean.Too black or wet too rich.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome.
Put some Seafoam in the tank and ride it. It should go well past 65.
The CV carbs are sensitive to sitting and deposits. Check the air filter also.
If the engine is missing at that speed look into the ignition system. See what color the spark plugs are. If too white it is lean.Too black or wet too rich.
I will do that and get back with my findings. Appreciate the response!

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,836 Posts
There is a drain screw near the bottom of the carb bowl. If there is some water inside it would be worth it to loosen the screw and let the fuel run out the nipple. Have the engine cool when you do that.

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
2,993 Posts
I am a new rider and first time bike owner. I bought a used 06 Shadow 750. I am not familiar with how fast or powerful these bikes are supposed to be, but went with the 750 because I wanted something easy enough to manage for a new rider and big enough to take on the freeway for short trips. The bike starts and runs ok, but it just seems slow, and tops out at 65. I'm pretty sure the bike sat for a while before I purchased. Any idea on what the problem might be, or what I can do to fix it or tune it up. I'm mechanically inclined at a basic level, but have never worked on a bike before. Thanks for any help
Welcome aboard. Did the previous owner do any modifications to the bike? Particularly in the exhaust system and air intake system?

Or is it bone stock?

·
Registered
120 Posts
My 1100 sat for 5 years.
Cleaned carbs and it ran great.....until I put it on the interstate.
Only ran 76mph and took awhile to get there.

Cleaned carbs again.Polished jets and wow what a diffrence.I get 96mph tops on a gps.
0-96 about 15 seconds or less.
Before 65-76 was about 45 seconds.

So I suspect you have dirty carbs or incorrect jetting.
A fuel/air issue for sure.
I bought a mini lcd tachometer to confirm my suspicion.Suspected low rpms in 5th gear.I was happy until I only got 3600-3800 rpm at 76.

·
Registered
16,623 Posts
I think our Gurus have hit the nail on the head...
A Fresh Tune Up and the Seafoam will prolly do it wonders...
I shift into 5th @80 when I leave the house :D

Welcome to the forums,
Dennis

I live in the country I can GAS IT!!!

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,456 Posts
Welcome to here
A 2006 750 Spirit is quicker than the Aero, but either should make 80 mph easily and then eventually top out around 100 mph.
And while maybe not the most comfortable for extended freeway rides, they can do it all day as long, IMO there are more rewarding places to ride, but some places the freeway can be hard to avoid.
These things do hate sitting for any length of time without some preparation and it always seems to be problems are fuel system related and mostly the carburetor or carburetors getting clogged up.
Knowing which version of the 2006 Shadow 750 you have has a great bearing on things.
Which ever version it is you can download a copy of the Honda service manual here: Manuals

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome aboard. Did the previous owner do any modifications to the bike? Particularly in the exhaust system and air intake system?

Or is it bone stock?
He said he removed the baffles from the exhaust but that is it.

Or is it bone stock?
Thank you! He removed the baffles from the exhaust. Rest is stock

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to here
A 2006 750 Spirit is quicker than the Aero, but either should make 80 mph easily and then eventually top out around 100 mph.
And while maybe not the most comfortable for extended freeway rides, they can do it all day as long, IMO there are more rewarding places to ride, but some places the freeway can be hard to avoid.
These things do hate sitting for any length of time without some preparation and it always seems to be problems are fuel system related and mostly the carburetor or carburetors getting clogged up.
Knowing which version of the 2006 Shadow 750 you have has a great bearing on things.
Which ever version it is you can download a copy of the Honda service manual here: Manuals
Appreciate that. I honestly didnt even know when I purchased. Upon further research it seems it is a Spirit VT750CDA. Not sure really what that means yet nor how it differs from other models lol. I started to tinker with it today and removed the air filter box and it had oil all over the inside, quite a bit actually. Seems like this could be my problem if the bike is having a hard time breathing. Any ideas why this is happening?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think our Gurus have hit the nail on the head...
A Fresh Tune Up and the Seafoam will prolly do it wonders...
I shift into 5th @80 when I leave the house :D

Welcome to the forums,
Dennis

I live in the country I can GAS IT!!!
Thanks Dennis

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Oil in the air filter housing is normal up to a point as the crankcase breather system dumps into the air intake and oil winds up collecting there and it should be drained from time to time.
On the left side bottom of the air filter box at the back there is a crimped off clear plastic tube when oil accumulates in that it should be pulled off and the oil allowed to drain into a cup or pan.
It would seem that has not happened for a while with that bike.
Running at high speeds for long duration usually will increase the amount of oil accumulated, over filling the oil is probably the most common cause of a sudden build up though.

I'd clean out the mess and replace the saturated air filter, check the engine oil level and keep an eye on that little tube.
You may be able to solvent wash and blow out the filter with compressed air, remembering the dirty side of the filter is in the middle, but it is a disposable I would not waste time on it and just replace it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow never knew that. Good to know. I cleaned it out. Gonna run to the store and get some kitty litter to clean this oil off my driveway lol. K&N filter in the mail, will be here Monday

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Hopefully all goes well.

I could have saved some text.
This is from the Service Manual with a few more causes:

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,555 Posts
I appreciate all the responses. Glad I stumbled upon this bike. Not only is the bike great but the community rocks as well. Do I need to learn a cool hand shake? Lol
Welcome to forum!

I suggest getting a OEM service manual. Makes future questions/help easier for all.

Don't know if this link will help but...

VT750C - Honda Service Manual - '05-'07

Elbow bumps for now. :p

Reactions: ButchCisco

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to update, I added seafoam to the tank and checked the oil (the first thing I should have done) and it was solid black AND overfilled quite a bit so I changed that. I accidentally ordered the wrong air filter from Amazon so I will be getting that replaced in a few days. I checked the spark plugs and they were black and had a lot of soot, so I will be replacing those as well. I'm guessing the carb will need to be totally cleaned, just want to exhaust all options before I take on that task. Looks like she'll be getting a full tune up by the time Im done lol.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,725 Posts
Chemtron B-12 is a little more aggressive treatment than seafoam. You might try that in a heavy dose if the seafoam doesn't do the trick. I would say at least a half a can to full tank of fuel.

Reactions: ButchCisco

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Don't forget that an air cleaner element clogged with oil is going to restrict air flow and act like a choke, therefore it is to be expected that would show up on the plugs as running rich.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quick update: the oil was overfilled quite a bit. Changed oil and filter. Put seafoam in the tank. Changed air filter. And replaced spark plugs. Here is a photo of the old ones. There was 1 that was different than the others. Bike still topping out at about 65 although all the maintenance has made it feel a bit smoother. I guess my next step is to remove and clean the carb. Will update again once I do that

1 - 20 of 32 Posts