Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They leave me alone, I'll leave them alone.
Was doing yard work by my basement door, I looked down and saw a tiny snake.

Does anyone know what kind of snake this is?

·
Registered
12,837 Posts
It may be a diamond back ratller. The wide head anyway looks like the head of a pit viper. If you have them there. Look at the end of the tail.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
It may be a diamond back ratller. The wide head anyway looks like the head of a pit viper. If you have them there. Look at the end of the tail.

Good info there!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It came out to bask again today, I was able to get a good look at it, no rattle on the tail, I think I've narrowed it to a type of rat snake (eastern fox or great plains rat snake)

·
Registered
962 Posts
Who has had a near miss with a snake on a motorcycle? I did years ago. I was going down the road and the snake appeared to be 2-3' long kind of across my lane. I swerved to miss it and raised my feet in case it tried to strike. It was a scary thought of it getting run over and striking me.

·
Registered
16,512 Posts
Yes @Ranma We call it a "Chicken Snake", because they eat eggs off the nest...
BUT It is called a brown rat snake Check out pictures of them, by searching "pictures of the brown rat snake...
On the farm here, snakes have their purpose, and we live & let live, UNLESS they`re a nuisance...

Stay SAFE,
Dennis
We`re CDC compliant

·
Registered
16,512 Posts
Yeah @kesanders on a Veterans Day Memorial Run, from Byron to Andersonville, there was a rattler on the centerline of the highway in Marshalville, GA... It striking at each bike it could as they passed...
`Twas a sight now!!!

Dennis

·
Registered
16,512 Posts
You see amany of dead snakes in the road during the first of winter, they`re staying warm in the warm of the road...
And the snake said "He did it!"

·
Registered
124 Posts
This reminds me of an incident a few yarns back. I saw a large snake crossing the road in front of my driveway. I thought it was a copper head (I was about 200 feet away).
My brother was walking down the road and I called out to warn him. I walked down to meet him and have a look see.
I think it was a bull snake. It stayed in the road (we live on a dead end) and appeared unharmed. Brother poked at it with a stick and it whipped back real quick, but didn't leave.
So, brother tried to lift it with the stick and it let him lift it. After realizing it was non poisonous, he held it in his hand. It coiled itself once around his arm, but didn't constrict.
It acted like it just wanted to hang on. It lifted it's head and peered at him. Brother, being a real butt, tapped on it's nose with his index finger.
It recoiled. He did it again. It retreated the best it could. It couldn't go back any further without falling from his arm. Well, he just had to try it again and this time it bit his finger.
Blood was gushing. He flung it to the ground and unloaded his pistol on it. Best I could tell, he never hit it. He ran up to the house (next door) to reload. I just stood there laughing.
While he was gone, the snake just crawled out toward the field and was never seen again. Other than a good gash on the side of his finger, brother was ok too.

·
Registered
12,837 Posts
I don't kill snakes either. They have a purpose.But did you ever hear of a case where the cut off head of a rattlesnake still bites a person?
So weird but I have heard of that several times over the years.So give them some room.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't hate them, I just don't care for them, I do like that they get rid of pests, only time I've killed snakes is by accident mowing the grass, either I couldn't stop in time or I just didn't see them till I saw squirming chunks fly out the chute.:sick:

·
Registered
408 Posts
heh, looks like one of our corn snakes...
I was cleaning a pistol one night when the wife SCREAMED and then came running into the house...
"You get a gun and come KILL that snake!"
So I grabbed a .22 that wasn't apart, popped a mag in and went out to see what was up...
long snake was going up a long limb just above where the wife had been walking, scared her silly,
so I took aim with the old High Standard B and fired a single shot...and it fell out of the tree, writhing.
I'd managed to nail the snake right in the head with the shot, but it was still wiggly.
Finished it off with a nearby shovel.
Turned out to just be a 3' corn snake...rat eater.

Interesting to find out the wife had a fair amount of Indiana Jones going on tho ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts