Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snap goes the throttle cable.......4 miles from the house and 8 miles til work. No cell phone....No extra cable.....Mcgyver was nowhere to be found. What do ya do????

I had NO idea that a bike could weighs so much. I had to push the bike home. Luckily, a neighbor saw me on my last mile and helped me tow it home. I could have been worse........bu thow much worse?

This type of thing happen often????

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
radski said:
It may be a stupid question, someone has to ask.. How do you lube the cable?? You have the outer lining and the cable running inside..
I use a Motio Pro adapter and Motion Pro spray lube. Simple job and well worth preventing a snapped cable..... 8)

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I would have reached down with my left hand and use the throttle linkage on the side of the carb to putter down the road. Sure as hell wouldn't try to push it 4 miles. Might have been a little dicey getting it rolling (clutch released) initially but could work.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
It happens, but not often. I had it happen on my other bike (24 years old) and who knows if it was ever lubed by the previous owner(s).
I took the throttle apart from the handlebars and used the inside of the cable to accelerate by pulling on it. It beats the hell out of pushing the bike home.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Just a thought here. Couldn't you just turn the idle up a bit and putter home in first gear on the side of the road? Maybe even second gear if you idle it up high enough. As long as there's no big hills to climb. I would rather do that than push for sure.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
hunter58 said:
Just a thought here. Couldn't you just turn the idle up a bit and putter home in first gear on the side of the road? Maybe even second gear if you idle it up high enough. As long as there's no big hills to climb. I would rather do that than push for sure.
Yet another excellent solution to avoid pushing and making the clutch engagement easier..... :wink: I LIKE IT!!!
This is good stuff to file-away for future reference.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Happened on me on another bike. I just adjusted the idle speed up enough to limp it home.

G

·
Mmm..using the remaining cable to limp home
or
turning up the idle speed

the word for the day is IMPROVISE
can you say improvise?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
snap

Couldnt get to the idle with the carb cover on.....had no tools....they were ordered 2 days ago. the bike stalled going up hill in firs, thats when the pushing began...............

lesson learned though.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Bummer!

On my Aero the knob is just below the air cleaner cover and can be turned without tools, or I should say it looks like I can do it without tools. I'll have to try this weekend.

You needed the exercise anyway right? :twisted:

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Couldnt get to the idle with the carb cover on
That kind of thing makes you wonder if the engineers who designed the thing ever sat on a motorcycle, much less rode or worked on it. I thought only Detroit could be so dense...well, OK, Munich (BMW) too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
isnt the idle adjuster screw on the left side of the bike? adjuster knob and everything? thats where it is on my 02 ACE. was it in a different spot in 99?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.