Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to start seriously thinking about pulling batteries on the 'fun' vehicles and start shifting stuff around in the garage. It does make those days in the coming Spring that much more special though.
No complaints, it was a great 'season' all around.......

·
Registered
810 Posts
I am spoiled by the nearly year round riding I can do here in Texas. If you can handle the cold well though, snowmobile, skis, or other winter activities would be a blast.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Well I shoveled the driveway this morning and looked at the bike tucked in the shed and then took the car.
If the City starts laying down the salt, it may be soon time to winterize the bike and reorganize the shed.
A few years ago I was last minute Christmas shopping on the bike, the roads were salt free dry asphalt, but it's not looking like that will happen this year.
Last year I put it away in early November and got it back out in April, the winter months of depression.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Well I shoveled the driveway this morning and looked at the bike tucked in the shed and then took the car.
If the City starts laying down the salt, it may be soon time to winterize the bike and reorganize the shed.
A few years ago I was last minute Christmas shopping on the bike, the roads were salt free dry asphalt, but it's not looking like that will happen this year.
Last year I put it away in early November and got it back out in April, the winter months of depression.

I’m in denial. The bike is still parked in its spot ready to go at a moments notice. Although the last time out I filled it up and added seafoam. 6 years ago I started riding snowmobile in the winter, it really helps with the winter blahs.

Sitting on my VTX making Vroom Vroom noises.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Last winter there was enough snow for a sled many times, but generally in Southwestern Ontario it's pretty hit and miss for them.
I also live in reasonably dense urban area, where since the 1960's such devices are banned from the streets no matter what the weather or potential fun. )-:
The most fun I'm allowed is turning off the traction control on the car and playing low speed rally racer, while mildly entertaining, even that likely crosses the line into "Stunt Driving" for law enforcement.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We get about 2 or 3 measurable snowfalls per year here(Mississippi). We never really put bikes up for the winter. I have heated gear plus a big touring bike with windshield and fairing lowers.It did get down to 16 degrees here which is pretty uncommon. I was amazed at how my year old heat pump system was keeping the house warm by taking the heat from 16 degree air. It must be magic.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Here down by the ocean in SC it is cold and raining. We had a frost warning two nights ago and last year we didn't have a frost the whole winter.

Our fall lasted all of 5 days. Went from 85 or so to high in the 50's. My body isn't ready for this at all.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Its actually unseasonably warm here. Daily highs are reaching around 10°c when they should be about -10°c. I wouldnt normally complain about such things but its too cold to ride and too warm for my pond to freeze so I can play some hockey. Just a wet, mucky mess of a yard to deal with. If I wanted winters like this I'd move to Vancouver

·
Registered
480 Posts
Its actually unseasonably warm here. Daily highs are reaching around 10°c when they should be about -10°c. I wouldnt normally complain about such things but its too cold to ride and too warm for my pond to freeze so I can play some hockey. Just a wet, mucky mess of a yard to deal with. If I wanted winters like this I'd move to Vancouver
I lived in Buffalo NY for a while, the worse part was in between. Freezing rain was my favorite. I know why wool is great in the North, can get wet and heavy but it is still warm. Buffalo never got real cold but going over the border into Canada I did like how quite it is when it gets really cold. That completely dead landscape with no sound of anything when it gets really cold. Nothing living to be heard unless of course you are in a city, etc.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Winters here can get downright brutal. Dec and January have been known to have temps ranging from -25°c (-13°f) to -35°c (-31°f) and stay there for weeks. There is actually a point when its too cold to even snow. And this doesn't even phase most of us. We go about our lives just like every other day. They used to close schools at -35° when I was a kid but they have since passed a law preventing schools from closing no matter the weather because some kids froze to death after walking to a school that turned out to be closed. Although I have noticed the winters have gotten much more mild in the past 5 years or so. I think last winter we only hit -35° half a dozen times and those were overnight low temps

1 - 17 of 17 Posts